How to Change Location on Android: The Safest Method for Your Device
Changing your location unlocks new possibilities on your Android device. And we know the easiest and quickest method to do it. Whether you want to unblock websites when traveling abroad, stay anonymous online, or avoid Internet throttling, a virtual private network (VPN) is a perfect solution. VPNs for Android change your device’s IP address, encrypt your data, and help you access what you need quickly. Read along to find out more.
How to change location using a VPN on Android
If you’re looking to discover how to change your IP location on Android in a quick and safe way, a VPN can get the job done. Here’s a quick step-by-step guide.
1. Subscribe to a reliable VPN
Brief Android VPN 101: What to look for
- Plenty of server locations around the world
- AES-256 encryption for the best data protection
- No data or speed caps
- Easy-to-use app
Want to change Android location to a specific one? Consider getting a VPN with many servers globally. For instance, VeePN has servers in 89 locations across 60 countries, meaning you can get a reliable connection from anywhere with its easy-to-navigate app. Apart from changing your virtual location, VeePN also keeps your online activity private and secure by encrypting your data with the strongest encryption method.
Choose VeePN plan and try out our app risk-free with a money-back guarantee.
2. Install the VPN on your Android device
Next, download a VPN on Android. Follow installation instructions to get VeePN up and running on your device.
🔎 Note: Check out our blog post for a full guide on how to set up VeePN on Android.
3. Connect to a server in another country
Open the app and choose a specific location to connect to. Switch between different servers and change VPN location anytime you want.
You can choose among many server locations with VeePN. Tap the location selection under the Connect button and choose either:
- Optimal Location that connects you to the nearest server, thus giving you better speeds. Go for it when you just want to boost your online privacy by hiding your IP address.
- A server in a specific country when you want your device to appear in a specific location. Suppose you need an Argentinian IP address. Then, just connect to a VPN server in Argentina – and you’re all set!
- Double VPN servers when you need extra protection for your data. But for private everyday browsing, a regular VPN connection will do.
4. Tap Connect to turn on VPN
Turn on a VPN connection by tapping the Connect button on the main screen. This sends all your Internet traffic through a remote VPN server and gives you its IP address. Your Internet connection is also completely encrypted, which means nobody can spy on your online activity. This includes advertisers, your Internet service provider (ISP), or the government.
5. Check if your VPN works
To make sure your VPN is actually working, first, look up for your real IP address by googling “What’s my IP?” and clicking any of the links provided. Then, connect to a VPN server and check your IP address again on VeePN’s “What’s my IP” page. If it’s different now, your VPN works.
⚠️ Note: If your location remains the same, this means something is off and you may want to troubleshoot your VPN connection.
Now, with your Android location changed, let’s learn more about what perks it brings.
Why do you need a VPN to change Android location
2020 paper from European Workshop on Usable Security found that 9 out of 10 people believe that their activities are being monitored when they use different mobile apps. Ever felt worried that Android apps can track and collect your data even when it’s unnecessary? Many people do, and that’s where a VPN comes in handy.
By using an Android VPN, you can change your location and avoid being monitored online. Better yet, VPNs offer more than just privacy protection:
- Online security. A VPN encrypts your data and hides your web activity from unwanted eyes. VeePN has a strict No Logs policy which clearly outlines that no sensitive user data is stored nor shared.
- Accessing content without limits. Changing your virtual location with a VPN lets you access content from different countries as if you were present there. This comes in handy when you travel and want to keep access to your usual content.
- Device protection. VeePN will also keep your device safe from trackers, intrusive (and often malicious) pop-up ads, and malicious websites. With features like IP and DNS leak protection and a Kill Switch, your data will stay safe and secure, and you won’t see annoying pop-ups.
💡 Pro tip: Check out our full guide on how to stop pop-up ads on Android.
- Better deals. A new virtual location lets you shop from other countries and get better deals on clothing, electronics, and other products.
- No speed throttling. Your ISP can deliberately slow down your connection. But with VeePN encrypting your data and giving you a new IP address, this won’t be a problem.
Disclaimer: VeePN is the VPN service not intended to be used for bypassing copyright regulations or other illegal behavior. For more details, please read the VeePN Terms of Service.
Other methods to change location on Android
If using a VPN to change your phone’s location isn’t enough, there are other options available. Keep in mind that you’ll still need to download a separate app or set up additional network changes since you can’t alter these settings on Android itself.
How to change Android location with a proxy server
First, note that proxy servers work well for masking your IP address when browsing, but they are not as safe and secure as VPNs. Proxy servers only reroute traffic from a specific app or browser you set up your proxy with, while a VPN redirects all your traffic through an encrypted tunnel. Additionally, a proxy doesn’t encrypt your connection and leaves it vulnerable to third parties.
If you still want to give it a try, here’s how to create an Android proxy server:
- Go to your device’s settings.
- Tap on Wi-Fi.
- Tap and hold the name of your network.
- Select Modify Network, then choose Advanced Options.
- Tap Manual.
- Change the proxy’s settings: enter the hostname or IP address of the server you want to use (in the format of proxy.example.com) — you can find this info by searching for a free proxy server online — and its port number (usually 8080 or 3128).
- Alternatively, if you have a Proxy Auto-Config URL, you can choose Proxy Auto-Config and enter the URL into the PAC URL field (in the format of https://www.example.com/proxy.pac).
- Tap Save.
Once you have saved the changes, your Android device should use the configured proxy server for all network connections. Note that proxy servers can affect your device’s performance and security, so it is important to use them responsibly and only for legitimate purposes.
How to change GPS location on Android
Apps such as Google Maps, Waze, Pokémon Go, and Tinder figure out your location using GPS data. Even if you use a VPN, you can’t hide or fake this info.
You can change the GPS location on an Android device with two methods.
Method 1: Using a GPS spoofing app
- Download a GPS spoofing app from the Google Play Store (note that many of such apps aren’t safe, so get them at your own risk).
- Enable Developer Options on your Android device. To do this, go to your device’s Settings, then About Phone > Software Information.
- Tap on Build Number 7 times until you see a message saying “You are now a developer!”
- In the Developer Options menu, enable Mock Locations.
- Open the GPS spoofing app and select the location you want to use.
- Start the app and your device will now use the spoofed location for all location-based services.
Method 2: Using a computer and USB debugging
- Enable Developer Options on your Android device (as described in Method 1).
- Enable USB debugging in Developer Options.
- Connect your Android device to a computer using a USB cable.
- Download and install a GPS spoofing tool on your computer.
- Open the GPS spoofing tool and follow the instructions to set a location.
- In the Developer Options menu, select Select mock location app and choose the GPS spoofing tool you installed.
- Start the GPS spoofing tool on your computer and your Android device will now use the spoofed location for all location-based services.
Note that GPS spoofing can have legal and ethical implications, and may be used to violate the terms of service of certain apps or services. It is important to use GPS spoofing responsibly and only for legitimate purposes.
How to set location on Android?
Finally, you can’t change your device’s actual physical location through your device’s settings — your device’s physical location is determined by GPS, Wi-Fi, and cellular data, which are all controlled by external factors beyond your control.
What you can do through settings is turn off location access, which will prevent apps from accessing your actual location. This doesn’t change your physical location, but rather prevents apps from using that information for location-based services.
Turning off location settings may vary slightly depending on the Android version and device you are using, but generally, you can follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app.
- Scroll down and tap on Location (sometimes labeled Location access).
- Toggle off the switch next to Use location or Location services to disable location access for all apps.
- If you want to disable location access for specific apps, scroll down to the list of apps with location access and toggle off the switch next to the app(s) you want to disable location access for.
Keep in mind that turning off location access will prevent apps from using your actual physical location for location-based services, but it may also affect the functionality of some apps that rely on location information.
If you want to access content that’s not available in your location while traveling, or just want to stay anonymous and safe while using your Android device, changing your device location comes in handy. While there are different ways to get the job done, the best and safest way is by using a VPN.
When you use VeePN, your device location changes to the one you choose. Plus, VeePN makes your online activity secure and encrypted, protecting you from snoopers and malware — a win-win! Download our VPN on Android and steer clear of blocks and trackers.
FAQ: How to Change Your Location on Android
To change your location on an Android phone, use a VPN. By connecting to a VPN server in a different location, your IP address and location will appear as if you are somewhere else. VeePN has servers in 89 locations across 60 countries, meaning you can get a reliable connection from anywhere. Find out how to change your IP location on Android with a VPN in this blog post.
You can fake your GPS location via a GPS spoofing app downloaded through the Google Play Store. But note that many of such apps aren’t safe and may put your device at risk. Learn more in this article.
A VPN will help you change your location on a Samsung phone. First, download and install the VeePN app from the Google Play Store. Then, connect to a VPN server in the location you want to appear as if you are located there. Your IP address and location will now appear as if you are in that location.
To change your location from one phone to another, you can use a VPN. First, download and install the VeePN app from the Google Play Store on both phones. Then, connect to the same VPN server on both phones. Your IP address and location will now appear as if you are in the location of the VPN server.