How to Watch ESPN3: Choosing the Simplest Methods for Your Viewing Needs
Although ESPN3 is now available for sports fans in the US without cable TV on a few popular streaming services, you may still find it challenging to access it. The problem is that some live events may turn out to be unavailable in particular parts of the country due to local broadcasting regulations. Luckily, there’s a simple and effective way to stream ESPN3 hassle-free. Read along to find out how you can do that on different streaming platforms, and whatever device you prefer.
Why it may be challenging to access and watch ESPN3
First, let’s take a closer look at the potential issues you may face when you want to stream ESPN3. As mentioned, the main challenge here is geoblocking – the technique online services use to limit access to region-locked content. Here’s how it works.
Suppose you want to watch a basketball game broadcast on ESPN3. Before letting you in, the platform detects your IP address (a unique set of characters identifying your device connected to the network) and, with its help, determines your location. So, if you’re currently visiting a place where the rights to air a particular game belong to another service provider (such as a local or national channel), you will only see an error message. Also, the service may be blocked by a Wi-Fi administrator at your school or office.
Finally, the availability of ESPN3 also depends on live TV or the on-demand streaming platform you’re using since not all of them include this channel.
Which streaming service has ESPN3?
You can access ESPN3 by subscribing to one of the following streaming services available in the US:
- YouTube TV. This platform includes 60 channels, including ESPN3, with the $72.99 monthly package. It also allows for three simultaneous streams and lets you save ESPN3 content to Unlimited Cloud DVR. YouTube TV offers a 60-day free trial.
- Hulu + Live TV. This Hulu add-on comes at $69.99 per month, providing access to 70 channels, including ESPN3. You can also record games with Unlimited Cloud DVR and use two simultaneous streams. The ad-free Hulu + Live TV plan has a 30-day free trial.
- Fubo. The Fubo plan ($85.98/month) comes with 90 channels, including ESPN3 and other ESPN channels. It provides a 1000-hour Cloud DVR and three simultaneous streams. Also, Fubo offers a 7-day free trial.
- Sling TV. Sling includes ESPN3 in its Orange package ($40/month), along with 30 other channels. It allows for a 30-hour Cloud DVR (or 200 hours with a $5 add-on) with no simultaneous streaming options. Sling’s basic Orange plan has a 14-day free trial.
- DIRECTV STREAM. The Entertainment package of DIRECTV STREAM includes ESPN3 among its 65 channels. You can record content with Unlimited Cloud DVR and use it on 20 devices simultaneously. The service offers a 5-day free trial.
Still, when going abroad or even traveling to another state inside the US, you may miss out on the desired sports events, even if you have an ESPN3 app account or use one of the streaming platforms listed above. The good news here is that you can overcome this challenge with a reliable virtual private network (VPN). Here’s how it may help.
Reasons to use a VPN to watch ESPN3
A VPN hides your IP address and moves your Internet traffic through an encrypted tunnel. It means that once you connect to a remote VPN server, the websites and applications you’re using won’t be able to detect your actual IP. Instead, they will only see the address of the chosen VPN server. So while traveling, you can choose a virtual location near your home and enjoy live sports unavailable in the place you’re currently visiting.
Another good reason to use a VPN to watch ESPN3 is that it helps secure your connection and prevent anyone from snooping into your online activities. Your IP and other personal data become invisible to all third parties, including your Internet service provider (ISP). This way, you will not only protect your privacy, but also avoid Internet throttling (a technique ISPs use to limit your Internet connection speed and capacity) and stream sports without annoying lags.
Note that VeePN does not promote, condone, or encourage using a VPN in ways that would potentially violate the Terms of Service of streaming service providers. For more details, please read the VeePN Terms of Service.
Now, let’s discover how to pick a credible VPN service provider to watch ESPN3.
How to choose the best VPN for ESPN3
Here are the most critical factors to consider when selecting a VPN to stream ESPN3.
- Credibility. Not all VPNs are trustworthy. In particular, free services may appear to be ineffective, as they often lack servers and connection stability. Moreover, a free VPN can even compromise your security by collecting your data and selling it to advertisers and other third parties.
- Server network. Pay special attention to the number of servers offered by a VPN service provider. It will help you pick any desired virtual location and access geo-limited content, such as ESPN3, even when traveling to another country. Besides, VPNs with extensive server networks tend to be more stable and ensure faster connections.
- Connection speed and stability. A particular VPN’s connection quality depends on several factors. In particular, trustworthy services offer a good selection of VPN protocols that establish the VPN tunnel your traffic moves through. For instance, VeePN provides the most powerful VPN protocols to date – OpenVPN, WireGuard, IKEv2/IPsec, and Shadowsocks.
- Supported devices. Make sure the chosen VPN service supports the required devices and operating systems. VeePN is a multi-platform solution that offers a VPN for PC, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Smart TV, and more.
- Simultaneous connections. A good VPN should allow you to connect several devices within a single subscription plan. With VeePN, you may benefit from up to 10 simultaneous connections.
- No Logs policy. You can only trust a VPN that doesn’t collect users’ connection and activity logs. It means that the chosen service will not use your private data to make a profit.
- Security features. Apart from helping you overcome geographical limitations and access the content you need, a VPN is a powerful cybersecurity tool. Check whether the chosen service offers handy features to protect you from unwanted monitoring, phishing, malicious websites, intrusive ads, and more.
- Support. A reliable VPN service is supposed to provide you with a couple of troubleshooting options, including 24/7 live chat and email support.
How to stream ESPN3 with a VPN
Considering the factors above, we recommend using VeePN to securely watch ESPN3 while traveling. It’s a reputable VPN service provider with an extensive network of servers and top-tier features to protect yourself online and ensure a smooth streaming experience.
Here’s how to get started with VeePN and stream ESPN in a few simple steps.
- Choose a VeePN plan that suits you best.
- Download and install the app on your device.
- Open the VeePN app and log into your account.
- Find the most suitable US-based server location and connect to it.
- Turn your VPN on.
- Enter your account on the chosen streaming platform, whether it’s YouTube TV, Hulu, Fubo, or else.
- Search for ESPN3.
- You’re all set! Stream the desired sports events freely and securely.
Now that you know how to stream ESPN3 with a VPN, let’s have a look at the content you can access on this digital network.
What can you stream on ESPN3?
It’s easy to confuse the many channels and services ESPN provides. So, let’s briefly sort things out. Originally, ESPN3 was a separate app that provided access to most ESPN, ESPN2, and ABC content. Later, the channel also created an additional streaming service – ESPN Plus. It included some extra sporting events unavailable on other ESPN networks.
So far, things have got a bit more organized. With the ESPN app, you can access all the channel’s content. However, to watch ESPN3, you either need cable TV or a subscription to one of the streaming services mentioned above.
That said, ESPN3 exclusively airs over 7,000 live sports events, including nearly 40 major competitions. These are roughly 380 college football games, over 1,000 college basketball games, NCAA championships, tennis majors, golf, cricket, soccer, Formula 1, and more.
Need a trustworthy ESPN3 VPN? – Try VeePN!
If you’re looking for an effective and secure way to access and watch ESPN3 while traveling, consider VeePN. It’s an advanced VPN service offering many decent security features, a strict No Logs policy, and compatibility with various devices and operating systems. VeePN provides access to over 2,500 servers across 89 locations in 60 countries, ensuring smooth connection and easy access to the desired content – all within a convenient and user-friendly interface.
Get VeePN now with a 30-day money-back guarantee!
FAQ: How to Watch ESPN3
You can access ESPN3 by subscribing to a streaming platform like YouTube TV, Hulu + Live TV, Fubo, Sling TV, or DIRECTV STREAM. All you have to do is create an account on one of these services, search for ESPN3, and start streaming. But note that some ESPN3 content may still be unavailable due to geographical limitations. Read this article to learn more.
The ESPN3 app supports cable TV and some streaming services, such as YouTube TV and Hulu + Live TV. If you have the ESPN app on your device, follow these steps:
- Open the ESPN app and head to Settings.
- Select TV Provider under Log In to ESPN Account.
- Search and select the TV provider or streaming platform you’re subscribed to.
- Log in to your TV provider to link it to your ESPN account.
- From now on, ESPN networks should be available on your TV.
Many US-based cable TV providers include ESPN3 in their packages, so the chance is that you don’t have to pay extra for this channel. However, to stream ESPN3 online, you will need to subscribe to a service that offers ESPN3 – these are YouTube TV (60-day free trial), Hulu + Live TV (30-day free trial), Fubo (7-day free trial), Sling TV (14-day free trial), and DIRECTV STREAM (5-day free trial). Check out this article to learn more.
To watch ESPN3 on YouTube TV, follow these steps:
- Enter the YouTube TV website and sign up.
- Search for ESPN3.
- You’re all set – stream your desired sports events on ESPN3.
Note that YouTube TV and other services offering ESPN3 are only available in the US. For more information, read this article.
You can watch ESPN3 on Amazon Fire TV if subscribed to one of the following services:
- YouTube TV
- Hulu + Live TV
- Sling TV
Also, you can link your Firestick to your ESPN app account.