The Ultimate Guide to Using a VPN While Traveling
When planning your holidays or a business trip, you probably think of some essentials first. Of course, nobody wants to forget a passport or put airline tickets in the wrong pocket. But do you consider your Internet security among these must-have preparations? Probably not, but you definitely should.
Tourists often fall victim to hacker attacks and other cyber threats. And one of the most effective ways to not let your vacation turn into a nightmare is to install a VPN app on your device. Such a tool will not just make your travel more secure but will also enhance your Internet privacy and provide access to limited online content. And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Read further to learn the most compelling reasons why you need a VPN when traveling abroad.
Do you need a VPN for international travel?
If you’re looking for a short answer, it’s yes. Using a virtual private network (VPN) when going on a trip is certainly worth it. A VPN protects your traffic from hackers, snoopers, and sniffers that may try to compromise your private data. For instance, when you’re using insecure public networks, a VPN will prevent your personal information from being stolen.
This is possible because a VPN encrypts your data and redirects it to the chosen remote server. It hides your IP address and conceals your online identity, ensuring that neither your location nor browsing activities are visible to third parties. Instead, they will only see the VPN’s anonymous IP for online protection.
Let’s dive deeper into these and other reasons why a VPN is a must when traveling to another country.
Why should you use a VPN while traveling?
Here are the main reasons why using a VPN is essential for travelers.
Enhance online privacy and security
Can the Internet be somehow more dangerous when you’re not at your home or office? Most often, we visit the same websites, social media platforms, and messaging apps when going abroad. So, why bother?
The problem is that when going to another country, you will likely use public Wi-Fi at airports, cafes, trains, and hotels. Free hotspots are very convenient for travelers, but also rather insecure. When you’re connected to a public network, your traffic can be accessed by third parties. And some of those are there to prey on your private data. Here are some of the most common cyber threats you may encounter when using public Wi-Fi.
- Man-in-the-middle (MITM) attacks. If your connection is insecure, hackers can put themselves between your device and the server you’re trying to access. This allows them to steal sensitive data, such as logins, transaction details, and other credentials.
- Evil twin attacks. A public Wi-Fi you’re using may look legit at first sight, but then turn out to be fake. Instead, it’s an evil clone created by cybercriminals to compromise your privacy.
- Malware attacks. Devices connected to public networks are often infected with malware. These are different types of viruses that can be installed on your phone, laptop, or tablet with malicious intentions.
The most effective solution against all those threats is a VPN. Having this tool on your device when going abroad will protect you from hackers and other risks related to public Wi-Fi networks. Besides, a powerful privacy and security feature like VeePN’s NetGuard will help you avoid malicious websites, phishing links, third-party trackers, and potentially infected ads wherever you are.
Overcome Internet limitations
Many countries limit the right of their citizens to browse the Internet freely. And while online censorship can sometimes be noticed even in democracies, its level is incredibly high in countries with authoritarian and totalitarian governments. For instance, when traveling to China, you won’t be able to browse the Internet the way you’re used to. The Great Firewall blocks hundreds of popular websites and apps, including Google, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Netflix.
Except for China, there are many more countries where Internet freedom is quite limited. To name a few, these are Iran, Uzbekistan, Turkey, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and many more. In fact, according to a Freedom House report, the level of Internet censorship is very high in over 20 countries worldwide.
What does this mean for you as a tourist or a temporary visitor of one of those countries? You will have to deal with the same problems as locals. Many of your favorite websites won’t be available for you.
Besides, even if the country you’re going to doesn’t impose strict Internet censorship, it still can be challenging for you to access your desired content. For example, libraries of many streaming services, including Netflix and Disney Plus, vary in different countries due to geographical limitations. So it may turn out that you cannot watch the next episode of your favorite series on vacation.
However, nothing is impossible with a VPN turned on. It will allow you to bypass any limitations and watch the content of your choice from anywhere in the world.
VeePN does not promote, condone, or encourage using a VPN in ways that would potentially violate Terms of Service of streaming service providers. For more details, please read the VeePN Terms of Service.
Access your bank accounts
Imagine you appear in a foreign country without access to your bank account. You cannot withdraw money, make any transactions, or pay for services online. Sounds horrible? Sadly, this situation is quite common. Banks often freeze people‘s accounts once they spot a connection from an unusual location. For instance, if your bank is based in the USA and you’ve logged in from Europe, they may prevent you from any online banking activities.
The best way to avoid such an outcome is to use a virtual private network. If you’re connected to a VPN server in your country while abroad, the bank won’t be able to track your actual location.
Besides, a VPN app will protect your online transactions from being compromised by scammers trying to trap shoppers in their phishing net. You can learn how to protect yourself from the most widespread holiday shopping scams from our recent article.
Get better travel deals
Did you know that the prices for airline tickets, hotel booking, and car rental vary in different locations? The factors that affect the cost of those and other similar services depend on the economic situation and average salaries in a particular country. But if you change your IP address with a VPN, no one will know where you’re purchasing from. So you can pick the cheapest deal hassle-free.
A VPN for traveling ensures untraceable browsing, so you can hunt for the best options available and significantly save money. All you need to do is clear your cache and browsing history, turn on the VPN, and change your location several times to find a deal that best suits the budget of your trip.
As you see, there are plenty of reasons why it’s a good idea to use a VPN during your international travels. But how to pick the right service for your needs? Let’s discuss the most critical aspects to take into account when choosing a VPN.
How to choose the best VPN for traveling abroad
There are lots of VPN providers out there, but not all of them are effective and reliable. Some VPNs cannot be trusted because of security vulnerabilities, weak encryption, or a lack of available servers. Pay attention to the following factors when choosing a VPN service for your travel.
- Avoid free VPNs. When it comes to virtual private networks, you get what you pay for. It may be tempting to protect your device with a free solution, but most of them either lack important functionality or are untrustworthy. Some may even compromise your security.
- Choose a reputable service provider. For instance, VeePN is a feature-rich solution that adheres to a strict No Logs policy. It means that your data won’t be collected, hijacked, or transferred to third parties.
- Pay attention to the encryption protocols. Only top-rated VPN providers follow the most secure and stable encryption standards. Make sure your chosen service uses AES-256 encryption enhanced with reliable VPN protocols, such as OpenVPN, WireGuard, and IKEv2/IPSec.
- Prioritize privacy and security features. Your Internet safety should be the main priority. It’s worth checking if a VPN service has the necessary functionality to get you covered.
- Consider the connection speed. Any VPN service slightly reduces your Internet speed since your traffic moves through an encrypted tunnel. However, this slowdown is hardly noticeable when using a powerful VPN tool.
- Check the number of available endpoints. Make sure your VPN solution provides a sufficient number of servers in different countries to choose from.
How to start using a VPN while traveling
Setting up a VPN app is a simple process that will not take much time and effort. Here is how to start using VeePN before going to another country.
Step 2. Install and run the app. It will immediately allow you to take advantage of all essential VPN features.
Step 3. Pick the VPN server that suits your needs. With VeePN, you can pick one of over 2,500 servers across 89 locations in 60 countries worldwide, including the US, the UK, Argentina, Colombia, UAE, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Turkey, and many more.
Step 4. Turn on your VPN and enjoy safe and anonymous browsing wherever you are.
Safeguard your upcoming trip with VeePN!
Whether you need to enhance your Internet privacy when going abroad or just looking for a way to save money on airline tickets, VeePN will do the job for you. It’s a reliable VPN service with a number of powerful features that will prevent any potential headaches during your travels. Try VeePN today, and don’t let Internet security challenges ruin your trip.
Do I need a VPN when traveling?
Yes! A virtual private network is a must-have tool that will keep you safe during your trip. Here are the main reasons to empower your device with a VPN when going abroad.
- Protect you against public Wi-Fi security challenges
- Hide your digital footprint
- Help you bypass Internet limitations
- Allow you to access your bank accounts
- Get the cheapest travel deals
To learn more about a VPN for traveling, read this article.
What are the main benefits of using a VPN?
A VPN provides many advantages if you strive for safe and anonymous online activities with no limits. Here’s how you can benefit from this tool:
- Top-notch security. A VPN protects you from various cyber threats, such as man-in-the-middle attacks, DDoS attacks, malware-infected links, and phishing websites.
- Ultimate privacy. A VPN hides your IP address and prevents third parties from monitoring your online activities.
- Internet freedom. With a VPN, you can access blocked content, address Internet limitations, and overcome online censorship.
What happens if you don’t use a VPN?
Without a VPN, your private data can be compromised by hackers, scammers, and other malicious actors. Also, cybercriminals can infect your device with malware. Moreover, your browsing activities can be tracked by your ISP (Internet service provider), ad agencies, governments, and other nosy third parties.