How to Pick the Best VPN for Travel
Packing for a trip? It’s always a good idea to have a Virtual Private Network (VPN) on your travel checklist. However, there is a sea of different VPN providers out there. So, how do you make the right choice? Read along for some tips on choosing travel VPN.
Travel VPN 101: Why do you need one?
A VPN is a powerful digital security and privacy tool you can connect to via an app on your device. Since a VPN changes your IP address and redirects your browsing activity through a remote server, it brings you lots of benefits — from staying connected with important platforms from abroad to saving money when booking your vacation. Here are the top reasons why a VPN should be on your essential list of packing gear.
1. Grab better deals
Websites can charge more or less based on your location and personal data. That’s mainly because businesses know that people in certain countries will pay more for specific products and services. As a result, the prices for airline tickets, car rentals, and hotel reservations often vary. However, if you use a travel VPN, you can change your virtual location to hunt for the best deals. Just switch between servers and get a new IP address in a few clicks.
2. Access needed content
This one is especially useful when you:
- Travel to a country with more strict Internet control in place, like China, Iran, or Turkey, (even some democracies censor the Internet), where some of the most popular social media platforms can be blocked.
- Need to access content from your home country — for example, your favorite streaming platforms. By connecting you to a server in your country of origin, a travel VPN redirects your connection back home.
A VPN will lend you a hand (read a server to connect to) in these cases. The only thing you need to make sure of is that your VPN provider has a server location in your destination country (more on that in a bit!)
Note: Keep in mind that VPNs are illegal in some countries. That’s mostly because the government wants to snoop on all traffic. Make sure to see local laws before you do something that may be frowned upon.
3. Secure your data
What’s the first thing you do upon arriving at the airport? Most likely look for free Wi-Fi. It’s available pretty much everywhere, but is it secure? Absolutely not — anybody on the same network can easily get your unencrypted data as it flies through the air. Your usernames, passwords, credit card number, and other sensitive info are a low-hanging fruit for data thieves. But that’s where a VPN saves the show. Reliable VPN providers send your Internet traffic through encrypted tunnels — this makes your data look gibberish to the prying eye, giving you one extra layer of security against having your personal information stolen.
4. Stay private
A VPN keeps all your traffic safe from third parties due to top-grade encryption. It ensures that your online activities remain unreadable to your Internet Service Provider (ISP), governments, authorities, and other snoops.
How to choose the best VPN for international travel
So you get the point — a travel VPN should not be a neglected tool. It keeps your data safe and gives you peace of mind when you’re out and about. That said, our next order of business is to settle on a provider. Here’s what you should stick to when making your decision.
1. Security and privacy
First and foremost, a VPN app must do its main job — data protection — well. This is where essential security features come in. Opt for the provider that offers top-grade encryption. See the “AES-256 encryption method” phrase when looking up your prospective VPN? That’s definitely a good sign.
2. Cross-platform app
Everyone’s travel habits are different. But devices people bring on a trip with them are usually the same — most travelers couldn’t do without a phone, while those on a work trip usually bring a laptop, as well. That’s why it’s crucial to pick a VPN that you can run on most-used devices. For example, if you own a Mac and an iPhone, check if the VPN supports macOS and iOS versions. Accordingly, if you’re using Windows VPN and Android instead, make sure there are dedicated VPN apps for these operating systems.
3. Extensive server network
The more servers and server locations a VPN provider has, the better — a global VPN server coverage means there’s a higher chance you can connect to a server in a needed country.
4. Great speeds
VPNs are bound to slow down your connection a bit because it takes time to route your data through a VPN server. However, this slowdown isn’t that noticeable with top VPN providers. When choosing a VPN, see if it uses the WireGuard® VPN protocol — fastest one to date. Large server network is also key — the closer you are to a VPN server location, the faster your connection will be. These two factors ensure high-speed connectivity no matter where you’re going.
5. Additional features
Extra features can do a lot. Your prospective VPN has a 1) Kill Switch, 2) auto-connect feature, 3) tracking/ad prevention, 4) optimal location? That’s some great news! Here’s what they are all about:
- The Kill Switch blocks your Internet access in case your VPN connection drops. This way, it prevents data leaks.
- Auto-connect makes sure you connect to a VPN as soon as your device starts so that you don’t have to worry about it.
- Tracking/ad prevention blocks annoying ads and trackers, decluttering your experience online.
- By choosing the optimal location, you are connected to the fastest and most smooth server.
6. No speed or data caps
Finally, why get a VPN and not enjoy the service to the fullest extent, right? So, it’s better to go for a VPN imposing no bandwidth or speed limits. After all, a smooth online experience with no interruptions is one of the main reasons we connect to a VPN while abroad.
If you need a hand in selecting a provider operating all of the above, we have just the right VPN for you.
Why VeePN is your go-to travel VPN solution
VeePN is the best VPN for international travel abroad due to excellent security features, great unblocking capabilities, servers all over the globe, and affordable price.
- Security and speed. VeePN is as secure as they come — it uses next-gen AES-256 encryption and modern VPN protocols, like WireGuard® and OpenVPN. The app has a DNS leak prevention feature and doesn’t store your browsing activity or personal data.
- A large number of platforms and devices supported. It works on all major operating systems and devices with dedicated apps and additional browser plugins for Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge VPN. VeePN is also a great choice for a Smart TV.
- 2,500+ servers in 89 locations. VeePN has a sizable server network across 59 countries — no matter where you’re traveling, there’s a good chance you’ll be able to connect to a local server.
- A wide range of security features. The service has all the essentials: the Kill Switch, Auto-connect, and VeePN NetGuard — the last lets you block relentless ads, trackers, and malicious websites even. You can also pick Optimal Location in the server list to get the smoothest experience possible. In case you run into any issues, contact our live chat support available 24/7.
So, before hitting the road, make sure to get yourself a reliable VPN — test-drive VeePN risk-free with its 30-day money-back guarantee and have enough time to see if it’s a good fit for you. Have a nice (and safe) trip!
Disclaimer: VeePN is the VPN service not intended to be used for conducting any illegal acts. Please remember to check whether there are any restrictions in your particular country before doing anything potentially questionable. Please be informed that if some action is illegal without using a VPN, it will also be illegal with its use.
Should I use a VPN when traveling?
Definitely. A VPN is a great idea for international travel. With it, all your web traffic is protected and personal info is kept safe. Besides, you can access websites and apps like you would if you were home and not have your streaming services disrupted because of your new location. Learn more in this article.
Does VPN work internationally?
Yes, modern VPNs with extensive server coverage will work all over the globe. VeePN has 2,500+ servers in 89 locations in 59 countries, so there’s a high chance you’ll be able to connect to a local server when traveling.
Which VPN is best for international travel?
When choosing a travel VPN, check out if it offers AES-256 encryption for top data protection, WireGuard® tunneling protocol for the best speed, and global server network. VeePN operates all of the above. Find out more in our article.
What is the number 1 rated VPN?
VeePN is the best travel VPN with a sizable server network in 89 locations. It uses the strongest AES-256 encryption to protect your data as well as modern VPN protocols, like WireGuard® and OpenVPN. The app also comes with plenty of security features, like the Kill Switch, Auto-connect, ad and tracker prevention, and others. Read along to find out more.
What is the best VPN location?
The best VPN server location depends on what you’re using your VPN for. For example, if you want to access your streaming platforms when you travel, pick a server location in your home country. Meanwhile, when looking for the best privacy, try connecting to servers in Iceland or Switzerland.