How to Change Steam Region: A Guide with Tips for Gamers
Accessing the desired games on Steam, from Counter-Strike and Dota 2 to Hogwarts Legacy and Call of Duty, is quite challenging these days – and mostly due to regional limitations. The thing is that the games’ availability, as well as their prices, vary in different locations. So, for example, when traveling to another country, you may even find a specific game missing in the Steam store. That is where you may decide to change Steam region. Read along to find out how to do it with a reliable virtual private network (VPN) service.
All you should know before changing your Steam region
Before revealing how to change Steam country, let’s take a look at several important things one should keep in mind when doing so.
- Changing your country to buy games at cheaper prices is a violation of Steam’s Terms of Service. So, if you attempt to do so (with or without a VPN), your Steam account may be banned. Note that VeePN doesn’t encourage using a VPN in any way that would potentially violate the Terms of Service of other platforms. For more details, please read the VeePN Terms of Service.
- Steam is unavailable in some countries. As the leading PC games distributor, Steam covers over 180 countries worldwide (including mainland China!) However, the service is currently unavailable in several countries, including North Korea, Syria, Sudan, Iran, and Cuba. Also, the platform has limited payments from Russia and Belarus because of Visa and MasterCard restrictions due to financial sanctions (alternative payment methods like PayPal and Steam Wallet are still possible, though).
- You can change Steam timezone, currency, and country every three months. This way, Valve (the game distribution company behind Steam) ensures users do not jump from region to region to get the best deals.
- You need a local billing address to change your Steam region. The service requires confirming a particular address and zip code to link your account to another country.
- You may need to use a local payment method (a card or Steam Wallet) to switch to another Steam region. However, most payment cards you can use to purchase games on Steam are supported worldwide.
- Some multiplayer games may not work. Make sure to check whether your mates can join your party before making any changes in your region.
- Not all VPNs can do the job. Some VPN services (especially free ones) are not efficient enough to alter your location for Steam – more on that in a bit.
That said, here’s how to change your Store country using VeePN, a reputable VPN for Steam.
How to change Steam region with a VPN
- Sign up for VeePN.
- Download and install the VeePN app on your device.
- Choose a VPN server located in the desired country.
- Turn your VPN on.
- Go to Steam and open the Store.
- Find the desired game – in our example, it’s Hogwarts Legacy. Next, add it to your shopping cart (but it doesn’t mean you will immediately have to buy it).
- Head to checkout.
- Enter your payment information. Note that here, you will need to use a billing address in the chosen country.
- Click Continue. Once you make a purchase, Steam will change your location. From now on, your account will be associated with the selected country for at least 3 months.
Note that online services like Steam sometimes block IP addresses associated with VPN services. This may cause an error preventing you from changing your region. In this case, take the following steps to troubleshoot your VPN connection.
How to fix your VPN connection issues
- Clear your browsing history, cookies, cache, and other data.
- Restart your device.
- Reopen your VPN application and choose another server in the desired region. VeePN provides several options for the most popular locations.
- Change your VPN protocol – the technology that defines your VPN connection’s stability, security, and data encryption. With VeePN, you can choose between OpenVPN, IKEv2/IPsec, WireGuard®, and Shadowsocks proxy. For more information, check out our detailed comparison of VPN protocols.
- Turn on the Kill Switch feature. It will prevent potential IP and DNS leaks in case your VPN connection fails.
- Turn your VPN on and give it another try.
Now that you have altered your Steam region, let’s see how to choose the best VPN service for this purpose.
How to choose a VPN to change Steam region
Here are the most important factors to consider when choosing a VPN for Steam.
- Efficiency and credibility. Remember we mentioned that some VPNs aren’t reliable and effective enough for changing your Steam region? Well, most of those are free options. While tempting, such services are unlikely to cover your needs. What’s more, some of them are fake programs designed to compromise your Internet privacy. In case of VPNs, you get what you pay for – so make sure to choose a reputable provider.
- Security features. A good VPN should provide you with some essential online security perks, such as VeePN’s NetGuard (to block malicious websites and third-party trackers) and Kill Switch (to prevent your sensitive data leaks when your connection is down).
- Server network size. The number of VPN servers offered by the chosen provider defines whether you can connect to the preferred location hassle-free. Note that if a VPN has few servers to choose from, they will likely be overloaded and not working as expected.
- Connection speed. The truth is, every VPN slightly slows down your connection speed due to the data encryption process. However, with a top-rated tool like VeePN, the slowdown is so minor you will hardly notice any difference.
- Device support. Prioritize VPNs compatible with multiple devices and operating systems. For instance, you can install VeePN on macOS, Windows, Linux, iOS, Android, and more. Besides, you can use the app on up to 10 devices simultaneously within a single subscription.
A VPN is not just a location-spoofing tool allowing you to change your country on Steam. There are many other advantages you can gain with this solution.
Main reasons to use a VPN for gaming
Some of the main benefits of using a VPN are enhanced security, privacy, and browsing freedom. Moreover, such a tool can even increase your connection speed! To be more specific, here’s why it’s a good idea to use a VPN for online gaming.
To overcome geographical limitations
A VPN changes your IP and routes your traffic through an encrypted tunnel. As a result, the websites, services, and applications you’re using can’t detect your actual location. Instead, they see only the IP of a VPN server you’re connected to. This way, you can access your desired games even when traveling to countries where they are geo-blocked.
To enhance your security
A VPN can protect you from various cyber threats when playing online games or entering multiplayer mode. In particular, it’s an effective measure against distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks – dishonest players often turn to this malicious technique to slow down others’ connections by sending false requests to their devices or networks.
To protect your digital identity
If you tend to play games while connected to a public Wi-Fi, you may put your personal data at enormous risk. The problem is that unprotected hotspots are a goldmine for hackers. For instance, threat actors can put themselves between your device and the network it’s connected to – and steal your credentials or other sensitive information right under your nose. Luckily, a trustworthy VPN like VeePN eliminates this risk by altering your IP and shielding your traffic with top-tier AES-256 encryption.
To avoid Internet throttling
If you face frustrating lags and unexpected data caps when playing games, your Internet service provider (ISP) is likely the one to blame. That’s because ISPs often apply Internet throttling – the technique that limits your Internet speed and bandwidth if you’re busy with traffic-intense online activities. Read our recent guide to learn how to check whether your Internet provider throttles your connection.
Changing your Steam region can be beneficial in many ways – but again, keep in mind that it may be against the platform‘s Terms of Service. However, if you just want to access a specific game unavailable in your current location, it’s perfectly legit to use a VPN for this purpose. Moreover, such software opens up many other opportunities for gamers. In particular, it enhances their protection, makes their online presence more private, and helps avoid unwanted lags.
Looking for a credible VPN for Steam? Look no further – try VeePN! It offers an extensive network of servers across 89 locations in 60 countries worldwide. Moreover, VeePN has all the necessary privacy and security features along with top-tier AES-256 encryption hiding your traffic from prying eyes.
Download VeePN today with a 30-day money-back guarantee!
FAQ: How to Change Steam Region
Yes, it is possible to change your Steam region with the help of a reliable VPN service (read this article to learn more). But do note that changing your location just to buy games at lower prices is against Steam’s Terms of Services. VeePN doesn’t encourage using a VPN in any way that would potentially violate the Terms of Service of other platforms.
You can change Steam region by following these simple steps:
- Pick a reputable VPN service.
- Download and install a VPN app on your device.
- Select an appropriate server location.
- Head to the Steam Store.
- Select the desired game and click Buy.
- In your shopping cart, change your Steam country (including your new billing address with zip code).
For more details, check out this article.
To set up a VPN for Steam, simply choose a good service provider – we recommend VeePN due to its solid track record, an extensive server network, and a bunch of powerful cybersecurity features. Next, install a VPN app on your device, choose the preferred server location, and turn your VPN on. Now, you can securely access your Steam account wherever you are. Read this article to learn more.