How to Change Location on iPhone: A Safe and Simple Method
There are two ways to change your location on an iPhone: by spoofing your IP address or GPS location. What’s the difference, how to change iPhone location quickly, and what does a VPN have to do with it? Also, what benefits does location spoofing bring in the first place? Read along to find out.
Does a VPN hide your location on an iPhone?
Yes. Actually, a VPN on an iPhone is the quickest and simplest way to change iPhone location. Let’s discover how it works.
- Web browsing without a VPN: When you use the Internet on your iPhone, your Internet service provider (ISP) assigns your device an IP address — a “home address” which identifies your device online. This IP address can be used to determine your general location.
- Web browsing with a VPN: A VPN on your iPhone hides your actual IP address. Instead, it gives you a different one that corresponds to the VPN server location. This makes it seem like you’re browsing from a different location rather than your actual location. For example, if you’re in the US and connect to a VPN server in Bogota, your IP address will show up as being located in Colombia.
Сhange iPhone location with these steps
Now to the details. Here’s how to use a VPN to change location on an iPhone.
1. Download a VPN app from the App Store.
Get a trustworthy VPN on an iPhone from App Store where you can find top-rated privacy and security apps. Stay away from unverified apps that could cause problems or put your device at risk of malware.
Quick iOS VPN 101: What to look for
- Plenty of server locations around the world
- AES-256 encryption for the best data protection
- No data or speed caps
- Easy-to-use app
- Ad blocker won’t hurt, too
VeePN is an Apple-approved VPN app that ticks all the boxes above. It provides servers in 89 locations around the world and protects your data with top-grade encryption. And its NetGuard feature will make your experience even better by stopping annoying pop-up ads, trackers, and malicious websites. This is all packed in a simple easy-to-navigate app which you can try risk-free right now.
Pro tip: Check out our article for a detailed guide on how set up a VPN on an iPhone.
2. Create an account and sign in.
After installing the app, you can create an account and log in to set it up. This will help with verifying who you are, and will also let you use the same VPN settings on other devices with the same app.
VeePN offers a free trial when you sign up, so you don’t have to pay for a subscription just to get started.
3. Tap “Allow” when asked for permissions to create VPN configurations.
For the VPN app to run on your iPhone, it needs permission to change some of your phone’s settings and turn on its own encryption. If your iPhone asks if it’s okay to make these changes, tap Allow.
4. Pick the country you want to connect to.
Now comes the interesting part. A VPN lets you pick which server location you want to connect to and access your favorite content even when you’re in a different country. You can also switch between different server locations to check out content that’s only available in certain places. But just remember that some content providers might not like this.
Disclaimer: VeePN does not promote, condone, or encourage using a VPN in ways that would potentially violate Terms of Service of other companies. For more details, please read the VeePN Terms of Service.
You can choose among many server locations with VeePN. Tap the location selection under the Connect button and choose your fighter:
- Optimal Location connects you to the nearest server, thus giving you better speeds. Choose it when you just want to boost your online privacy by hiding your IP address.
- Pick a server in a specific country when you want your device to appear in a specific location.
- Go for Double VPN servers when you need extra protection for your data. But for private everyday browsing, a regular VPN connection will do.
5. Click Connect to turn on a VPN.
Once you pick a VPN server, turn on a VPN connection by tapping the Connect button on the main screen. This sends all your Internet traffic through that server and hides your real IP address and location. So, it looks like you’re actually in the same place as the VPN server.
Your Internet connection is also completely encrypted, which means nobody can spy on your online activity or see your data. This includes advertisers, your ISP, or the government.
6. Check if your VPN works.
If you want to make sure your VPN is actually working, look up your IP address. First, find out your original IP address — you can just Google “What’s my IP?” Then, connect to a VPN server to check your IP address again and see if your location changed. If it’s different now, your VPN is working.
If your location remains the same, that means something is off and you may want to troubleshoot your VPN connection.
Why change iPhone location
Accessing blocked content or websites is probably the first reason people change location on iPhones. But spoofing your IP address with a VPN comes with a lot more. It also protects you from snoopers and hackers who want to spy on you online. By using a VPN, you can lock them out and keep your online activities private and secure.
Overall, changing your current location on iPhone lets you:
Access geo-restricted content
VPN’s ability to unblock websites and access the Internet freely is key for people who live in places with government censorship or those who travel often. But faking your location gives you access to many services from all over the world, which is especially helpful for streaming. That’s why different server options in many countries are a must for a good VPN provider.
Protect your privacy online
Apps and websites are always trying to find out your private information to target you with ads. But, with your location spoofed, they can’t get their hands on that data. This helps keep your online privacy.
Stay safe on public Wi-Fi
Can public Wi-Fi be a lifesaver? Certainly. Is it safe? Not at all. Since open networks are often unprotected, it’s highly likely they have many bad actors snooping around. If you do need to hop on public Wi-Fi, get your VPN up and running to protect your data traveling on unsecured networks.
Shop for cheaper prices
Sometimes, the prices you see online depend on where you are in the world. This is called geographical pricing. For example, the prices tend to be higher in more affluent countries. But, if you pretend to be somewhere else, you can find better deals on things like flights or hotels.
When a VPN won’t cut it: Limitations and exceptions
All the above sounds great, but we’re going to be honest — a VPN isn’t a silver bullet for every situation. Here are two scenarios when you’ll need to try something different to get the desired outcome.
- Changing your Apple Store region. The App Store offers different apps based on your location. And if you’re looking to download one that’s not available in your region, a VPN won’t help. Instead, you’ll need to change your Apple ID country or region.
- Faking your GPS data. Apps like Google Maps, Waze, Pokémon Go, and Tinder use GPS data to determine your location, and a VPN can’t hide or fake this info. While turning off your iPhone’s GPS location services is easy, spoofing your GPS data is much more difficult.
Let’s see how to change iPhone location either way.
How to change Apple ID region on an iPhone
If you move to a new country or want to explore different regional offers of the App Store, you need to change your Apple ID region. All because Apple only uses one billing address for all app purchases and subscriptions.
Here’s how to change country location on an iPhone:
- Go to Settings on your iPhone.
- Tap on your name at the top of the screen and then on Media & Purchases.
- Choose View Account and sign in with your Apple ID password or Face ID.
- Tap Country/Region > Change Country or Region.
- Select a new country or region.
- Review and agree to the terms and conditions and enter your payment information.
That’s it! But note that changing your Apple ID region may affect the availability of apps, movies, and music. Besides, any app purchases or subscriptions made in your previous region may not be available in a new one.
How to change GPS location on an iPhone
GPS spoofing is another way to change iPhone location. But while this method sounds good in theory, there’s no safe way to do it — there’s no official GPS spoofing app in the App Store that can get the job done. This means you’ll need to jailbreak your iPhone to install unauthorized third-party apps. It will remove the limitations imposed by Apple to let users get root access.
While jailbreaking removes Apple’s restrictions on your device, it also exposes your iPhone to many dangers. So we don’t recommend it unless absolutely necessary. Also, keep in mind that there are many fake location apps that are actually malware disguised as legitimate software. So be cautious when installing any app from outside the App Store.
Changing iPhone location is easier than one might think. You don’t need to be a tech genius or risk your safety with dodgy apps. All you need is a strong VPN app like VeePN from the App Store. By connecting to a server in the location you want to appear to be in, you can bypass region restrictions, stream content to your heart’s content, and protect your online security. A total win-win!
FAQ: How to Change Location on an iPhone
To change location settings on your iPhone, go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services. From there, you can turn location services on or off for individual apps, choose how apps use your location, and customize location settings for system services.
Yes, it is possible to fake your location on your iPhone. All you need to do is change your device’s IP address with a VPN. Learn how in this article.
A quick and effective solution is using a VPN. It can mask your actual location by sending your Internet traffic through a server in a different location, making it appear as though you are accessing the Internet from that location. This is useful for accessing content that’s not available in your region, protecting your privacy, and keeping your data safe. The only catch is that you need a reliable VPN provider to do the job.
VeePN is a premium service that helps you hide your location and protects your privacy online. It encrypts all your web traffic, masks your IP address, and prevents tracking. Try it risk-free and connect to one of the many servers across 89 locations with no speed or data caps.