Step-by-Step Guide on Viewing Secret Conversations on Facebook Messenger
Privacy on Facebook — a myth or reality? With end-to-end encryption and self-destructing messages, Secret Conversations on Facebook Messenger offer a level of privacy not found in regular chats. Users might consider using this feature if they are sending sensitive information or have concerns about someone spying on their data. Stay tuned to find out how to start such a chat and whether this feature is really private.
What is a secret conversation on Facebook?
A secret conversation is a feature on Facebook Messenger that allows users to send end-to-end encrypted messages within the app. End-to-end encrypted messages are intended just for you and the other person — no one else.
Encrypted chats don’t support group messages, gifs, and payments. But remember, the person you’re messaging can still share the conversation with others — for example, in a screenshot.
How does Messenger’s secret conversation work?
Let’s first hear from Meta “in person”:
“The content of your messages and calls in end-to-end encrypted conversations is protected from the moment it leaves your device to the moment it reaches the receiver’s device. This means that nobody else can see or listen to what’s sent or said – not even Meta. We couldn’t even if we wanted to.”
So, when you send a message, your device locks it as it’s being sent. Only a device with one of the conversation’s keys can unlock and read it. This means that no one else can access your messages or calls except for the people involved in the conversation who have the matching security keys.
Now, about these keys…
Facebook secret conversation key
Every device in an end-to-end encrypted chat has a Facebook secret conversation key that’s used to protect the conversation. Here’s how you can view your Facebook secret conversation key:
- Open the Messenger app on your phone.
- Tap the encrypted chat with another user (it will have a small grey lock icon next to it).
- Tap on the photo of the person you’re chatting with in the top left corner.
- Choose End-to-end encryption.
- Tap You to check your key for this chat.
How to view secret messages on Facebook
Checking to see secret conversations on Messenger can be tricky for users who didn’t know about this feature before. The main (and also the easiest) way here is to look at your chats:
- Open the Facebook Messenger app on your phone.
- Tap Chats in the lower left corner.
- Look for the chats with the lock icon on the right — these are your secret conversations.
Note: Secret chats are only available in the Messenger app on iOS and Android. So, they won’t appear on Facebook chat or messenger.com.
How to start a secret conversation on Facebook
To start a new secret conversation or see your old secret conversations, you need to have the Messenger app on either Android or iOS device. Before getting started, make sure you have the latest version of the Messenger app on your phone.
The process is the same on both platforms.
- Open the Messenger app.
- Tap the pencil icon in the top right corner.
- Toggle the lock and find any contact with whom you want to start a secret conversation.
You then will be redirected to a new chat interface where you can chat with your friend secretly.
You can also start a secret conversation in another way:
- Open a regular chat with the person you want to start a secret conversation with.
- Tap on their profile picture in the top left corner.
- Scroll down a bit and tap Go to secret conversation — this will send you a new (or an existing) secret chat with that person.
Note: You can’t start secret conversations with people you haven’t messaged before, businesses, professional accounts (like ones for public figures), Instagram accounts from your Messenger app.
How to send disappearing messages on Facebook Messenger
We used to enable this feature by setting a timer — tapping the clock icon where you’d type in the text. But now the process is a bit different:
- Open the encrypted chat with the person you’re secretly chatting with.
- Tap on their profile picture in the top left corner.
- Tap Dissappearing messages.
- Choose the time after which your messages will be removed in this chat: 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 1 minute, and so on.
How to start a secret video or audio call on Messenger
You can also make an end-to-end encrypted video or audio call from a secret chat. The process is the same for both iOS and Android.
- From Chats, open the end-to-end encrypted chat with the person you want to call.
- Tap the phone icon to start an audio call or a video icon to start a video call.
Keep in mind that both parts in your end-to-end encrypted chat needs to have the latest version of the Messenger app to be able to make a secret call.
Also, not that we’re trying to pull off Sherlock (or maybe just a bit) but since you’re reading this article, you most likely care about your online security and Internet privacy. And we get it — your private matters should stay as such, private. Secret conversations on Facebook Messenger seem to be a great tool to start with. But protecting your data goes well beyond Messenger.
Boost your online privacy with VPN
If you’re worried about people spying on your online activities or snooping into your personal data, a virtual private network (VPN) can help you stay secure and private. It’s a simple digital security app that encrypts (read protects) all your Internet traffic (Messenger and above) and hides your online identity by changing your IP address.
Download VeePN to improve your online security
Interested in a reliable VPN for iOS or VPN for Android? VeePN is your go to then! It’s an easy-to-use app you can install on up to 10 devices, including smartphones, laptops, and tablets, with just one account. With VeePN, you don’t have to go wandering around in Messenger’s settings — our app will protect all the data you send and receive with its powerful encryption method, safe even from the most professional hackers!
Let snoops mind their own business and care about their own secret conversations. Yours are yours. Period.
How to remove all secret messages?
To remove all your secret messages on Messenger, follow these steps:
- Open the Messenger app on your Android or iOS device.
- Look for chats that have a small lock icon next to them — those are your secret (encrypted) conversations.
- Swipe left on the conversation you want to delete.
- Tap on Delete to remove it.
Can someone see my secret conversations on Messenger?
No, no one can see your secret conversations on Messenger. Secret conversations are encrypted end-to-end, meaning only you and the recipient can see the messages. Learn more in our article.
How to see private messages on Facebook app?
To see your private messages on the Facebook app, follow these steps:
- Open the Facebook app on your Android or iOS device.
- Tap on the “Messenger” icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- You should see a list of your conversations, including secret conversations — they will have a little lock icon next to them.
How to view deleted secret conversations on messenger?
Unfortunately, you can’t view deleted secret conversations on Messenger. Once a secret conversation is deleted, it can’t be recovered.