What is the definition of NAT, and what is its target?Posted on 19th July 2021
Network address translation, or NAT, is a way of remapping the IP address by changing the data in the information packet’s header. Network packets are such packets of data that make up the traffic if it travels across the routing tool.
NAT works in the router and lets it translate the personal addresses of your entire network to a single public IP address. It is turning your router into the mediator between the Internet and your private network.
The NAT router might be compared to the office switchboard. Every department features a number extension that might not be visible to outsiders. The outgoing calls usually display the same old public number. Similarly to the secretary, your NAT might direct the callers to various departments to the specific callers utilizing their ports when making sure that these connections are a kind of legitimate.
NAT is utilized for the following targets:
- To prevent the exhaustion of IPv4 address. The original use of NAT was in order to save the available IP addresses because their number might be limited. With the boosting number of online users, the number of IPs is lacking. ISPs utilize NAT gateways to attribute one IP address to the whole network instead of a single tool. For instance, your network might have many connected tools. If every one of them featured a unique address, you would need more IPs. However, with the NAT gateways, the ISPs require a single IP instead of the few ones to all your network.
- To hide the private IP. Also, NAT hides the private IP addresses by displaying the public IP instead. Consequently, IP packets might originate from the routing tool.
- To protect you. Besides, NAT acts as a firewall and might decide which information may go into the local network.
NAT connectivity problems
Stricter NAT settings might slow down the Internet speed. While it will not be a big problem for daily browsing, it may get worse when gaming. As long as NAT performs just like the firewall, it might reduce the speed by the process of restricting your flow of specific packages.
Besides, tools with the NAT routers usually don’t have end-to-end connectivity. They are impossible to back up specific Internet protocols. Therefore, some packets may not reach the destinations. That might result in Internet connection issues.
What is the NAT type?
Unluckily, the industry-wide standard various NAT type users classification does not exist. NAT technical specifications and functions might vary from device to device. Therefore, we recommend checking them before you modify your settings.
Open NAT features no restrictions. All the tools might freely receive and send information. It features no firewall. Also, it fluently connects with the other NAT types.
When open NAT promises a simple online experience with minimal buffering and lag, it is not the safest option. It does not give firewall protection. Therefore, when you utilize it, you will be more vulnerable to some hacking attacks.
This NAT is much more secure. It leaves just a few ports open. Also, it employs a firewall in order to secure the network. When it is more secure, it also might slightly slow your Internet speed down.
It is the most secure and strictest NAT type. It restricts the information that enters your network. Also, it is the safest of these three ones. Strict NAT is enabled by default in the vast majority of routers and protects your computer from various attacks.
Its disadvantage is that it reduces the Internet speed. So you might experience more lag when playing games. It might only connect to the networks with open NAT. Therefore, you might experience connectivity issues more often.
On Xbox tools (Xbox 360, Xbox One & Xbox Series X)
Microsoft manufactured Xbox. This company decided to name the NAT types as Strict, Moderate, and Open. Here is the version of Microsoft of the three various NAT types:
- Open NAT. Having open NAT, you will be able to easily host and join multiplayer games with anyone despite their NAT type and communicate with other people.
- Moderate NAT. It means you can join and communicate multiplayer games with just a few people. Nevertheless, you will not be able to play or hear with some players.
- Strict NAT. You can play and communicate multiplayer games with online players that have the Open NAT type.
PlayStation NAT types
Sony named NAT types with a number that ranges from 1 to 3 where 1 is the best and 3 is the worst.
NAT type 1
Ditch the router if you want to have NAT type 1.
Not everyone knows what the criteria for the NAT type 1 connection are. However, many people think that PlayStation might be looking for you to have the IP address within the “192.168.x.x” range. In this case, you will not get a NAT type 1. One more way to get NAT type 1 is to put the router in bridged mode. So the rest of the home network will be brought down. It would be better not to bridge the router.
NAT type 2
Do the following if you want to get NAT type 2 to your PlayStation:
- The Sony Network ports should be forwarded in the router to the PlayStation.
- The DMZ must be set up in the router and point to the PlayStation.
- Have a completely UPnP compliant network. Meaning, you should have a router supporting UPnP. Also, it must be enabled.
If you have NAT type 2, it means:
- The PlayStation is behind the router.
- The router knows the PlayStation. It forwards incoming packets on the predefined ports to the PlayStation.
- The PlayStation can receive the incoming packets from the Internet as well as connection requests from different players.
- You can be the multiplayer lobbies’ host.
- You must not have any limits on video or chat.
NAT type 3
With NAT type 3, you will have the following:
- The PlayStation is behind 1 router, at least.
- The router does not forward the incoming connection requests to your PlayStation.
- You can not be the multiplayers lobbies’ host.
- There will be some limits on video and chat.
PC NAT types
We view PC games increasingly report NAT type that is similar to consoles. The vast majority of PC games utilize the NAT type Microsoft system. Therefore, you can see NAT Type Strict, NAT Type Moderate, and NAT Type Open in your games.
In PC gaming, the biggest difference is that the games might report the NAT type just from within the game. However, in a console, you might see the NAT type in the dashboard of consoles.
Why use VeePN?
With NAT types, you must be sure that your internet connection is safe and secure. Therefore, you would need a proper VPN. We offer you a VeePN provider to enjoy the gaming process. With VeePN, you will not need some activity or connection logs. What is more, you will enjoy bandwidth and unlimited traffic. Use VeePN now for a greater experience!