Steps to Proceed and Delete a Telegram AccountPosted on 10th June 2021
Telegram is a good communication tool that many people use worldwide. This popularity makes the tool attractive for various cybercriminals who hunt for sensitive and other data of such users. The problematic point here is that Telegram fails to apply sufficient measures to protect this data. Consequently, this leads to various threats. Deleting your account may be a solution, but that is not the only one. But let’s review the background first.
Privacy Issues You May Need to Know about More
If you have doubts about whether to switch to another communication tool or not, this information on security-related matters may be of help:
- This tool experienced serious security issues in 2017 when hackers got access to sensitive data from many users of this network. And they also launched malware through Telegram. As a consequence, that harmed lots of Windows systems worldwide.
- Its chat doesn’t ensure the required level of control over the communication between participants. Users may delete messages without being noticed. This results in negative consequences for users as they simply don’t see the entire dialog with all originally included messages. This makes it possible and greatly facilitates various manipulations with content. At the same time, other messengers may ensure traces for deleted and revised messages and which is more reliable for users.
- Telegram cannot ensure the exact level of security of all information in dialogs – it can be removed easily. While the tool ensures an option of secret chats, it is not entirely safe. Telegram stores all details of such dialogs on Telegram’s servers. But, they don’t ensure the entire security for such data (see the first-mentioned point).
- Telegram applies MTProto as its primary security option. The abbreviation stands for the proprietary messaging security protocol. The main point is that its security has not been confirmed, and that resulted in various cyber-attacks.
These points may serve as valuable consideration for making your decision to delete aTelegram account. Still, you should keep in mind the consequences of doing so.
Things to Consider Before Deleting a Telegram Account
If you have decided to delete a Telegram account, this may actually lead to these consequences that cannot be undone:
- deletion is non-reversible
- your personal information related to this deleted account will be removed permanently, including lists, groups, channels
- if you decide to come back and sign up for Telegram again, your previous story of messages, lists, and groups will not come back.
Ways to Delete a Telegram Account That Worry You
Telegram offers a couple of ways to delete its account, and you should be aware of both. Choose one that you prefer most of all in your case.
Telegram has the so-called self-destruction option. This means that an account will be removed automatically after the expiration of a certain period of time. This may be 6 months or a shorter period of time, like 1 month.
To apply this option, it is necessary to follow these simple steps:
- Enter that Telegram account you have.
- Go to Settings.
- Choose Privacy and Security.
- Scroll down the list and choose the option Delete My Account if I’m Away For. Here you need to choose your time preference. This may be 1 month, for instance.
Consequently, you are not using this account for the specified period of time, Telegram removes your account permanently. If you need to delete your account ASAP, another way of doing this may work better.
Telegram provides an option to delete an account manually. This is possible to arrange by following these simple steps:
- Go to the Telegram Deactivation Page and insert your contact phone number for a concrete account. Use the correct international format while doing so.
- You will promptly get a confirmation code to your cell phone number to complete this deactivation. Enter this code in the respective field.
- On the next page, when Telegram will ask you for a reason for deleting your account, provide information about such. Later click Done only.
- Telegram will also ask, “Are you sure?” If you are sure, you need to click that “Yes, Delete My Account”.
These steps lead to the permanent deletion of your account, and you may simply remove the app entirely from your device.
Thing to Do before Arranging Such Deletion
You should keep in mind that all information you have on your Telegram account will be permanently removed along with this account. But, there is one helpful trick with that – you may save a copy. Here is how to do this easily:
- Go to Telegram Settings on its desktop.
- Choose the option Export Telegram Data.
- Tick the option Export Chat History and insert your preferences about the data you would like to export.
You will get a copy of your Telegram-related data in HTML or JSON formats. Save that and access it at any time offline.
Using VPN Service May Increase the Security of Your Internet Surfing
If you worry about security issues, VPN may become a tool that can be of help. It hides your real IP address and assigns the new one related to the VPN service you have chosen (it is located in any other country you prefer to choose). This way, your real Internet identity may become untraceable in most cases and your personal info – secured. VPN tools apply encryption that adds security to your surfing.
This means enabling safe streaming, storage, and browsing of personal data online. It is possible to prevent most cyber risks. You will be able to explore different websites while remaining secure, anonymous, and safe.
So, there is a good alternative to deleting your Telegram account if the reason for doing so is related to security matters. Only take steps to ensure that easily.