Do VPNs use data: a clear explanation for beginners
It’s a common question for beginners who only start developing the opportunities that a Virtual Private Network can give to them. What’s VPN? What data does it use? All these and many other questions are answered in the article. In general, it’s estimated that the use of mobile data is increased when the VPN mode is on. Let’s see what the real situation is and how you should tolerate it.
VPN use: how to deal with it correctly
You must know that VPN helps you encrypt your data and ensures a safer user experience on the web. When you use a VPN, your phone can hardly be tracked because the IP address is properly hidden by the server. You can use VPN both on iOS and Android operating systems. It’s a real helper when you need a stable and more protected connection. However, many users admit that using VPN can lead to an increase in data consumption. Is it true?
A short insight into the way VPN works
The thing is that you can’t avoid the use of extra data when you resort to Virtual Private Network use. Your phone provider will still charge some extra fees from your account. Why does it happen so? When you decide to open a certain web page, you get firstly directed to the VPN server. And then, the server gets access to the website to send the necessary information to you. The journey takes more time and steps. The use of VPN has some truly impressive benefits:
- First off, your traffic is well-encrypted. ISPs can see your profile connected to the hidden server, but they can’t tell what exact activity you perform online.
- A different location is another benefit you can get. The server will connect you to the network from another region.
- Furthermore, your IP address is well-protected from an unnecessary activity from the web.
All these benefits require a stable connection to the internet. As you can see, more data is usually used to perform all the processes that require a well-functioning VPN application. You will be charged accordingly to your mobile plan. And there are no ways you can reduce the fee when the VPN server is on.
Reduce the use of mobile data with these tips
If you struggle to use your phone without a VPN, you should figure out working methods to reduce the consumption of data. There are some ways you can try:
- The first tip is to choose a reliable and cost-effective VPN. There are different options for users on the market. The industry is overfilled with steady existing options. You can try VeePN to make the use of mobile data less obvious.
- Another tip is to turn your server off. It is an obvious step, but many users may forget about it. If you keep the server on for a long time with no particular need, you’ll be charged more. And it will be a complete waste of money.
- Don’t forget about the compression feature. You must know what it means to compress the file. The same thing can be done with the VPN. There must be an option in the app. It’s mostly available for users with different tariff plans. It will help you reduce the size of the pictures and other media files used.
By using these simple tips, you can make the consumption of mobile data less obvious. One way or another, the use of the hidden server is a real advantage. And it can make your online user experience more protected and effective in many ways.