How Does Incognito Mode Work: Functions, Characteristics, and EfficiencyPosted on 14th June 2021
The popularity of the Internet is growing every day. And this is understandable because it provides many opportunities for work, learning, self-education, entertainment, self-improvement, and self-realization.
More and more people are using the Internet in their daily lives. The ability to connect to the network not only via PC but also via mobile phones contributes to this trend. The Internet provides incredible opportunities for work, discovery, communication, and creativity.
However, because from the very beginning, the Internet developed without any control, today it contains a huge amount of information. And not always safe. This raises the issue of network security.
Today, the Internet contains a huge amount of information. And not always safe. This is because, from the very beginning, the network developed without any control. So, this raises the issue of online security.
Incognito Mode as a Way of Online Protection
Are you trying to prevent websites from tracking your online behavior with cookies? Using incognito mode is one of the preventative measures you can take. It allows you to hide your actions on the World Wide Web.
How to Enable Incognito Mode?
You can easily enable this mode in your browser. For this, you need to click on the 3 dots that are placed in the upper right corner of the screen and select the tab “New anonymous window”.
On Which Browsers is Incognito Mode Available?
Incognito mode runs on a series of browsers that are popular around the world. Among the browsers with the most convenient incognito mode are the following:
- Google Chrome;
- Mozilla Firefox;
Does Incognito Mode Work on a Smartphone?
The incognito mode from Google can be used on all smartphones running the Android operating system. It is just necessary to follow these steps:
- Launch the browser and click on the menu;
- Chose “New Incognito Tab”.
How to Exit Incognito Mode?
Exiting incognito mode is very simple. You just need to close the tab. This method can be applied to all types of devices.
Main Advantages of Incognito Mode
The main advantages of turning on the incognito mode are the following:
- Anonymity to family members or co-workers;
- Avoiding intrusive contextual advertising that search engines publish in response to user requests;
- Ease of work in several profiles simultaneously;
- Accelerating the browser;
- Preserving the integrity of logins and passwords.
It is worth noting that when you enable incognito mode in Chrome, you can be sure that the downloaded documents will not be deleted. Logins and passwords will also be kept confidential, provided you save them specifically. Once you close your browser, you will not be able to restore your browsing history.
Cons of Using the Incognito System
On the one hand, incognito mode provides anonymity. On the other hand – the inability to save and share the necessary pages and files.
In addition, there are features of using incognito mode in Opera and Firefox browsers. You will need to remember or write down all your logins and passwords from social networks and other resources. It will be impossible to log in to your browsers and solve work and personal tasks automatically.
As practice shows, the conditions of anonymity of the user when using the incognito mode are conditional. By activating this mode, the history of your network visit will still be known to your provider. That is, you will be able to keep your secrets from relatives but not from technicians. It is worth mentioning that the incognito mode does not allow you to bypass the blocking of sites. You will need to use other resources, such as VPN, to access restricted resources in your area.
Thus, the incognito mode only allows you to hide your traces of being on a personal, business, or public computer.
Why Is Incognito Mode Not So Effective?
Taking into account all the above, we can conclude that the incognito mode is not as effective as it seems at first glance:
- Firstly, even if the incognito mode does not record the visited sites in the browser history, they can be easily tracked using your IP address. Thus, the ISP, the administrator of your local network at work, the owner of the Wi-Fi hotspot, etc. can find out which sites you visit;
- Secondly, your online activity is recorded even in incognito mode when you log in to your personal account in Google, Twitter, Facebook, etc.
Thus, the incognito mode has its positive and negative aspects. But it cannot be considered as really effective and reliable protection on the network. It will not hide your actions online, will not protect against viruses, etc. Therefore, it is not necessary to put much hope on it.
What Is VPN and How Can It Protect You Online?
In fact, VPN technology is the only way to protect information when it is transmitted over the Internet. A secure VPN is a combination of local area networks and individual computers through an open external environment. It is used to transfer information to a single virtual corporate network, which ensures the security of circulating data. The protection of information in the process of transmission through open communication channels is based on the following main functions:
- Authentication of interacting parties;
- Cryptographic closure (encryption) of transmitted data;
- Verification of the authenticity and integrity of the delivered information.
The basis for VPN security is data confidentiality, data integrity, and authentication.
It is aimed at protecting the content of messages from interception by unauthorized users or unauthorized sources. VPN provides privacy through the use of encapsulation and encryption mechanisms.
The recipient has no control over the passage of the data and does not know whether the data was viewed or processed during transmission over the Internet. There is always the possibility that the data has changed. Data integrity ensures that no data changes occur during transmission between source and destination.
It ensures that the message comes from an authentic source and is received by an authentic recipient. User authentication assures that the party with whom the user is connecting is the user with whom the connection is to be established. VPN can use passwords, digital certificates, smart cards, and biometrics. It is necessary for authentication at the end of the network.
When You Should Use VPN Technology?
A VPN is used to remotely access resources within a network, as well as to connect to the Internet. It allows you to solve three main problems:
- Access to files and other resources within the local network to which the VPN server is connected;
- Internet connection through the local network of the provider. This is advantageous if the local network traffic is not charged or is cheaper than Internet traffic. The server must be connected to the local network of the same provider as the client. Can be used with a variety of connection technologies, including Ethernet, Wi-Fi, and GPRS / EDGE / 3G;
- In addition, you can find a large number of applications for VPN technology. This includes access to the Internet on the provider’s side and playing via the Internet on a local network. Furthermore, it is the replacement of the external IP address, bypassing the restrictions set in the local network, merging remote local area networks into one network, etc.
Thus, connect to the Internet securely. VeePN will help you with this much more than incognito mode.