Ethernet vs WiFi speed battle: it’s time to find out the truth
A stable internet connection is necessary to handle different processes these days. You can’t work without being connected to either Ethernet or WiFi. These are 2 main sources of Internet connection for users. And there’s constant competition between them. Which one is better? How should you choose between these two concepts? If we compare how both these network sources work, we may conclude which one is better for which purposes.
Wi-Fi or Ethernet: what’s your side of the competition?
Before we take into the comparison, it’s better to check if you know the difference between these two subjects. Here you can find a brief description of both of the methods to connect to the global network.
The benefits of using a Wi-Fi connection
We all know what WI-Fi is. It’s a more convenient thing for portable devices. Almost all of us have a WI-Fi connection at home to make it easier to browse the web. It is a wireless method to connect to the network and be able to use the internet power. It also has its pros and cons. And these should be described further in the next paragraph:
- You can use your WI-Fi signal anywhere in your house area. If you need it in the farthest place in your house, you can still browse the web at ease. You can also let anyone from your family or friends connect to the network because there are no limitations for the number of users.
- It’s a perfect thing for portable devices. When you use the Ethernet connection, you need a cable. However, you can’t attach the cable to mobile devices in most cases. It’s not comfortable to use a cable with the adapter. So, in such cases, the use of wireless network sources is the best choice for a beneficial user experience. Furthermore, you can connect to a wide range of different devices without any issues.
- Today, people are more and more attached to IoT devices. If you have examples of IoT, you can easily connect them to your Wi-Fi router. There’s no way you can use Ethernet for this purpose. It won’t work this way.
There are different cases when the use of a Wi-Fi connection is mandatory. In many ways, some people don’t like the cables. It can either be a safety measure or a desire to make the interior of the apartment less loaded with wires.
Ethernet Use: What you should know about the use of Ethernet
Let’s continue with Ethernet. What do you know about the use of Ethernet these days? In most cases, you would say that Ethernet can boast a better speed and the reliability of its connection. We may also say that Ethernet has a lower latency compared to Wi-Fi. Why does it happen so? First off, the speed of your Ethernet connection will be higher because of the hard-wired connection. There are no seamless signals that you should either accept or share. Thus, the connection can show better and more stable results. Let’s see what some other advantages you may like Ethernet for are:
- We’ve already converted the concept of the higher speed. Now let’s get to the use of Ethernet with PCs. When you use a PC, you can benefit from the Ethernet more due to its static and cableless system. There’s no need to move the cables. You can enjoy your PC activity whenever you want. Furthermore, it’s a perfect thing when you need a stronger source of network connection.
- If you deal with several devices, you should also opt for Ethernet. The speed of the transmitting processes between the devices will be faster, too. And you won’t also lose the quality.
- It works in the same way with large files. If you want to send a huge file, you need a considerable amount of power. The sharing procedure also requires a stable connection. For this reason, it’s better to use an Ethernet connection for its quality services.
We should also remind you of the low latency levels. These are important for those users who are genuinely into the games. However, it does not affect the streaming of the media files or web browsing procedures.
Ethernet vs Wi-Fi comparison: which one is better?
What can we say about the Ethernet vs Wi-Fi comparison? First off, let’s admit the fact that the download and upload speeds of Ethernet are higher than in Wi-Fi. And the figures are considerably different. The general speed of the Ethernet is higher. It’s about 50-60Mbps, while Wi-Fi can perform an average speed of 15-25Mbps. We can’t say that one is better than the other. There are different reasons why you decide to choose between these two sources of Internet connection. In the first case, you may need an Ethernet connection for companies and their huge powerful projects. If you choose Wi-Fi, it will perfectly suit mobile devices and give you more freedom.
Connection issues happen: how to solve the problems with connection
There are difficulties in using both Ethernet and Wi-Fi. Thankfully, you can find ways to solve these issues fast and easily. If you experience issues with the WI-Fi connection, you should try one of the methods described in the next paragraph.
It all starts with the router. You should reset the router and try to deal with other devices connected to it. If you reset the necessary settings, you may intervene at the very center of the issue. There may be different malicious attacks on your router, and by resetting the device, you can get rid of the problem. Another option is to move your router. The place you put it in your house may define the stability of the connection. There are also Wi-Fi boosters that can increase the performance of your router.
If you find some difficult connection issues with the Ethernet, you need to think about the quality of your cables, and cables are the most important component of the device. They transmit the data, so you need to find the best quality options on the market.
Choose the right method for safe Internet use
When browsing online, you can meet different risks, such as malware, MITM attack, and many other issues. Any problem with a connection can be related to malicious attacks. The only proven way to protect yourself from hacking attacks is to install a VPN on your device. No matter whether you use Ethernet or Wi-Fi, you need stable and well-protected Internet activity. With the help of the VPN, your data and activity online will be highly encrypted. And you will come across fewer dangers online.
You should understand that the number of users connected to the network, the location of the router, or the quality of the cables can make the connection worse. There are also different malicious actions that may attack your connection. It all can be avoided with the help of the VeePN. The application will block the requests sent to your ISP so that the quality and speed of your connection aren’t lost. If you choose the right safety measures, you can win your online activity and make it more secure with little effort.