Learn How to Turn on Windows DefenderPosted on 13th August 2021
Windows is one of the most popular operating systems that people use for their devices. As a result, hackers target it more often than others. So if you want to stay safe, you should be attentive to malware. Fortunately, Microsoft tried to help all users at least a little bit. Read a comprehensive guide on how to turn on Windows Defender and protect your data from any third parties.
Windows Defender: What is It?
It is the native antimalware software that Microsoft developed with the purpose of your PC protection. The company released this software along with Windows Vista and presented an update with the new version of OS. Windows Defender is a great alternative for users who do not want to install free antimalware and suffer from irritating offers to upgrade it to a Premium version. This way, you will have at least a minimal level of protection.
Windows Defender comes with quick and full scans. In addition, it provides custom scanning for chosen folders or files. Besides, antimere software features protection from ransomware, a firewall, real-time virus, and threat protection. What is more, Windows Defender is pre-installed on Windows 10; hence it is a perfect match for users who can’t boast expertise in modern technologies.
Steps on How to Turn Windows Defender
Still, if you are looking for better security for your device, then Windows Defender seems to be a perfect choice. However, mind that it can interfere if there is another security software on your PC. Hence, you need to know how to turn Windows Defender:
- Press together the keys S and Windows to open the search box. Type there “Windows Defender” (in case you use a newer Windows 10 version – “Windows Security”), and click Enter.
- Look to the left and choose “Virus & threat protection,” click on “Manage settings” that are under “Virus & threat protection” settings.
- Switch the Real-time protection. Also, turn off the cloud-based protection, tamper protection, and automatic sample submission.
- You will see a prompt window. It will ask whether you are eager to turn Windows Defender off. Choose “Yes.”
- In case you are willing to turn it on again, follow the same steps.
I Can’t Turn on Windows Defender: What to Do?
In case you want to turn Windows Defender back on, but you can’t, then look at what you can do to fix the situation:
- Uninstall available security software on your PC. Yes, you can disable it, but it may not help, and the software will keep clashing with Windows Defender. Hence, the best thing that you can do is to remove it completely.
- Update everything. You can try to fix available bugs by installing the latest update. For this, go to the center “Windows Update & Security” and check if any updates are available. Remember to update not only Windows Defender but the operating system as well.
- Perform DISM and SFC scans. Sometimes partners build fake profiles for “testing” each other. Or people are using catfishing to get acquainted with the individual they have seen in real life but didn’t venture on talking.
Follow these steps to run SFC (System file checker):
- Press S and Windows keys simultaneously, type “cmd,” and press Enter.
- Type the command “SFC/scannow” in the Command Prompt window, and hit “Enter.”
- Wait until the scan is running.
If these actions didn’t help, and you couldn’t fix the bug, then try DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) scan. For this:
- Open the Command Prompt window again, type “DISM/Online/Cleanup-Image/RestoreHealth command, and hit “Enter.”
- Wait until the scan is running.
If you still can’t turn on Windows Defender, try running the SFC scan again, and check whether it can help.
As can be seen, Windows Defender will let you protect your device and all stored information on it. Still, if you want to protect your PC from hackers and surf the Net safely, you are recommended to consider using a reliable VPN server, for example, VeePN. It will hide your actual IP address, give access to any website, and protect data from the leak.