How Secure Is a VPN or How to Feel Safe Online?
VPN is an advanced tool for every Internet user. Still, you can always wonder how secure a VPN is. This is quite a logical question to ask. VPN technology is mostly based on various security protocols, advanced encryption algorithms, and additional features. Once you are connected to VPN, all your traffic goes through a protected encrypted tunnel. The data remains encrypted. Thus it cannot be interrupted by service providers, owners of websites you visit, or simple snoopers. They do not have access to your IP address or browsing history as well.
There is no way to think that the Internet can be a secure place. In fact, there are many cyber threats you can face these days. It makes your online security even more crucial. There are a lot of users with malicious purposes who want to get your personal information or private files. Besides, all these malicious individuals are ready to come up with quite creative ways of stealing your data. VPN assures your anonymity and hides your personal information and data. This is probably the main reason why VPN has become so popular these days. Every user wants to browse the Internet once feeling completely safe.
VPN Operating Mechanism’ Details
To get a deeper knowledge of how secure a VPN is, you need to learn some of its operating mechanisms. Knowing how it operates allows learning more about its level of security. Operating a VPN is not a difficult activity for users. Once you click the “Connect” button, the connection is immediate. You do not even get how many processes occur simultaneously by seeing only the result. In fact, some important processes occur at once when your press the “Connect” button:
- Making of DNS requests;
- Making of secure keys;
- Creation of secure channel;
- Encryption of your data by VPN protocols.
All these actions are instant, but they make the biggest influence on the result. They assure your data is encrypted and can be transferred safely. You see only the way your information gets secured. But, the VPN operating mechanism is always a complicated set of processes that assures your online security on the highest level.
VPN Benefits – Top Cases
There are a bunch of benefits you get once your data is encrypted. Firstly, when your data goes through a protected encrypted channel, you cannot be afraid of anyone intercepting it eventually. The access to your encrypted data is null and void. No one can reach them, including your Internet providers, hackers, or websites you visit. You always get a new IP address, thus your real one is hidden. It makes it impossible for hackers to trace your physical location. Moreover, VPN allows accessing any blocked or censored content and websites.
If you are interested in the fact whether a VPN can be tracked back, the answer is no. You cannot monitor the live traffic once a VPN is used. Sure, you must be very careful yourself. Because if you share your personal information or location with other people online, no software will be able to help you. In brief, VPN assures your online safety when you are careful enough. This tool is highly effective. Your private information and messaging are kept private. Everything is encrypted and becomes completely unreadable for onlookers.
How to Get a Secure VPN?
You should be careful once selecting a good VPN. There are some basic features you need to pay attention to first. For instance, you should never trust VPNs that are offered for free. Sure, you can find some decent VPN with a free trial or free short period of use. There are many complaints these days that over half of free VPN applications contain dangerous tracking source code. It can be good to download such an app for sure. You cannot install the VPN application with the main purpose to feel safe online and being tracked online at the same time. Free VPNs are surely not the best solution for you. There are slim chances that a decent VPN can be free.
It requires expensive maintenance and constant updates to deal with every newly occurred cyber threat. Thus, if you use a free app, it can be only against some old threats and absolutely defenseless against the new ones. Moreover, every free app or software contains a bunch of annoying ads. These advertisements and online promotions are targeted and can appear on your screen at any time. There is also such an issue as free apps selling gathered data to third parties. This surely goes against your original plans to stay untraceable. Here, you know now what types of VPNs to avoid. Next, you need to learn what exact VPN to select to improve your online security greatly.
Top Features of a Good VPN
The VPN you are about to choose must provide you with a list of top features. It will assure the highest level of protection.
- Latest encryption standards. The most effective and up-to-date standard for encryption is AES-256. Once using this encryption algorithm, your message cannot be read at all. It may take an entire life or even two to encrypt it. This particular standard assures the wanted level of security. Besides, it allows changing the encryption keys often to avoid any possible breaches.
- No-log policy. This policy assures the user’s safety and convenience. Due to this policy, the VPN does not collect your IP address, session information, browsing history, traffic details, or use bandwidth.
- Strong RAM-only services. This particular standard allows assuring better security for end-users. When the information that gets typically stored on a hard drive is no longer needed, or the server is off, it gets wiped off in an instance.
- Leak protection and private DNS. With a private DNS, you can assure better online security. You avoid the risk of your sensitive information being shared or sold by your DNS operator.
- Latest VPN protocols. You should pay attention to used protocols. The advanced VPN protocols assure the maximum level of protection. They encrypt all the data leaving cybercriminals with no means to access them.
- Two-factor authentication. This type of authentication includes two key steps to log in to your accounts. It helps to avoid numerous cyber-attacks with the purpose to steal your authentication details.
It is great when the chosen VPN can be installed on different operating systems and devices. For instance, VeePN can be installed on any of your devices. It also can be used on all known operating systems, including Windows, Linux, Mac, etc. Besides, VeePN lets you forget about annoying advertising online, targeted ads, and other online promotions. VPN is the exact tool that assures maximum online protection.
Can hackers breach VPN defenses? Theoretically, everything can be breached. Still, in the case of a VPN, it should take extremely experienced hackers and a way too long time to succeed. Therefore, there is a minimum possibility that any hacker will try to breach your VPN defenses. To hack the encrypted files is even more complicated. There are surely not many hackers who prefer spending years decrypting some of your messages. As a result, the VPN protection you get can assure you the ultimate online security. This is your best solution when you want to use the Internet and feel safe all the time.