Free VPN vs Paid VPN: Which is Better to Choose?
VPN is a modern technology that allows establishing a secure connection between two or more nodes on an open network. An open network implies access of unauthorized persons to the transmitted data. This also applies to the Internet. Your traffic can be accessed at any stage of the signal path by everyone who has hardware access to network equipment along the route. Therefore, to protect yourself online, experts recommend using VPN services from top brands like VeePN.
Main VPN Varieties
VPN can be classified according to various criteria: from the degree of security and implementation technology to the types of protocols used. For the average user, everything is simple. There are paid VPN and free VPN. Some are launched and supported by enthusiasts or amateurs, while others – by large companies that make money on this service. What is the difference? Let’s compare paid/free VPN in terms of their functional capabilities and advantages/disadvantages for users.
Functionality of Free VPN and Paid VPN
Let’s make a reservation right away that free VPNs are services that specialize in providing VPN connections. This does not include specialized solutions for connecting to individual sites and online resources that are created and maintained by the owners of these resources (for example, well-known torrent trackers, etc.). VPN is provided here for free, but you won’t be able to use the connection for your own purposes. Many free services are a kind of test product to assess the possibilities before switching to paid packages from the same service provider. Hence the restrictions on the volume and speed of the connection cut down functionality, etc. Besides that you can always look for Discounted VPN services.
Confidentiality and Security
The privacy and security level of paid VPN is potentially higher than that of free services. There are always clear conditions for the provision of the service. The presence of payment implies minimal responsibility for the result. Free VPN services are often provided without any conditions or guarantees. If you don’t like it, don’t use it. Weak encryption algorithms are often used.
Paid VPN performance is higher compared to free VPN. Servers pay off. As the number of clients grows, new hardware is launched and configured to maintain the required bandwidth and performance. The software systems are not often responsible for encryption. Special hardware solutions, which significantly increase the performance of the service, are often responsible for this.
As for free VPNs, their performance is lower. The more popular the service, the higher the load on the equipment. Servers simply can’t keep up with the influx of users.
Connection Speed and Traffic
Paid VPN always provides a sufficient channel. Often without restrictions on the amount of data transferred. If there are limits, they are always significantly higher in comparison with free access.
Free VPN provides a weak channel, which is also shared among many users (this leads to a drop in speed). Traffic limits may not be set, but you still won’t be able to download a lot here. Network congestion is often observed, and the connection can be terminated at any time.
As for paid VPN, large providers often host servers in different regions of the world, which opens up more opportunities for users. If necessary, the server can be quickly changed. Classic free VPN servers work pointwise without a large-scale infrastructure. They can be scattered all over the world and supported by different owners. Therefore, you have to either search for them yourself or choose special catalogs.
Paid VPN provides good tech support. You can refer to the official documentation or ask questions to specialists at any time. Free VPN does not always provide technical support. Often you have to search for the necessary information on the settings independently.
Many paid VPN services can automatically block ads from showing. In any case, third-party advertising is not mixed into the traffic. Free services often conclude agreements with various advertising platforms and mix ads into traffic. For example, add them to the pages of the websites you visit.
Criteria for Choosing the Best VPN
You have probably already understood that it is better to choose a paid VPN. It has a lot of better functionality compared to a free VPN. Here’s a list of criteria to help you choose one of the best-paid VPNs:
- Pay attention to where the VPN servers are located. If binding to a given country or even a city is important, choose providers whose equipment is presented at the right points;
- Technological solutions used. There are a huge variety of encryption algorithms, software, and hardware solutions that implement information closure in practice. Pay close attention to this;
- What platforms are supported, are there applications/software for them? It is important to make sure that the service will work with your devices;
- Are there any restrictions on the number of connections, data volume, speed, etc. and do they suit you;
- On what conditions and how quickly the technical support reacts if you need it. What languages is it available in?
VeePN is a worthy market leader at the moment. It meets a number of the above criteria. Here are its main characteristics:
- Support for all popular platforms. Convenient extensions are available for the most common browsers;
- A network of more than 1000 own servers. Equipment presence in more than 60 countries;
- Complete absence of logging (no one will follow you);
- Support for modern protocols and security options (protection against DNS leaks, automatic disconnection from the network if the VPN connection is lost, proven encryption algorithm, etc.);
- High connection speed.
Benefits of Using VPN
By choosing a VPN, you can be sure that you will receive a number of benefits from its use:
- Firstly, the confidentiality of the transmitted data is increased. This is especially true if you are dealing with important information. Encryption of traffic will not be superfluous for ordinary users. If you think that no one needs your personal data, you are greatly mistaken. All sorts of scammers like to use it.
- Secondly, VPN allows getting rid of total surveillance of your traffic by the provider. You can also choose your virtual location for individual services. This is especially important, for example, when buying unique goods abroad or receiving regional discounts/special offers. For a site that you will be visiting through a VPN channel, the starting point will be the location of the VPN server. And many large service providers allow you to change the location from a set of available ones.
- Thirdly, you can organize a secure home or corporate network. You can connect to your own resources over open networks without worrying about hacking or surveillance.
Therefore, in this article, you received important information about the functionality of free and paid VPN. As the analysis shows, it is better to use paid services. It is more convenient and safer. Choose a good service like VeePN and get benefits right now!