Guide: How To Delete Dropbox Account In A Few ClicksPosted on 15th June 2021
Dropbox is the most famous cloud storage tool. The program is safe, convenient, but new products have appeared on the market offering more extensive functionality.
If you have a paid Dropbox subscription but no longer wish to use their services, you can cancel your subscription. Instead, you will receive a free service – 2 GB storage, and thus you will no longer be charged.
When you decide to uninstall Dropbox, the program will erase all your data stored on network servers, personal information, and accounts – it takes about 30 days. After that, you will not be able to enter your account. Dropbox will also no longer sync all your data and disconnect your device from the program.
If you used shared folders for work or study, the program would not delete them – other users will still be able to see them. Also, the program will not change and delete files that are stored on your device.
Follow A Few Steps Before Deleting Your Account
If you want to delete Dropbox because files are taking up too much space on your device, we recommend that you stop syncing Dropbox with your phone, computer, or laptop. To cancel file synchronization, you need to do the following:
- Open the taskbar and right-click on the Dropbox logo.
- Click the gear icon and select the “Preferences” section.
- You will see the “Sync” icon, then select “Selective sync to PC.” If you are a Mac owner, click on the “Select folders to sync” section.
- Select those folders for which you want to disable the synchronicity function with the device. Thanks to this action, the program will automatically remove them from your device. Remember that you can access files over the Internet – so there is nothing to worry about. To get access to them, you need to sign in to your account.
Upload Your Files
You should be aware that after deleting your account, you will permanently lose access to your files. Therefore, if you’ve stored important documents on Dropbox, we recommend uploading them separately to your device.
If you have previously created a Dropbox folder that syncs with the cloud, you need to open the folder, copy all necessary documents from there that you want to store on your hard drive, and move them to your device. If you have not created such a folder or you cannot sync some documents, follow these steps:
- Open the Dropbox webpage and sign in to your account.
- Select the documents you want to download – the program will mark them with special flags, or you can select all files not to waste time on analysis. Then, in the upper right corner, under the user icon, you will find the “Download” button – click on it. The program will download the entire document into one zip folder – also called a compressed folder.
If you have purchased paid services, we recommend that you unsubscribe. This way, you can avoid paying for renewing your subscription. To do this, follow these steps:
- First, sign in and open the “Subscription.”
- To get rid of the premium account, click on “Dropbox Basic.” Next, you will see the step-by-step actions suggested by the company. Please remember that your premium services will be valid until the date of the write-off – so use them at maximum.
Delete Dropbox Account
Now you can finally delete your account. Follow these steps:
- Visit the Dropbox website and sign in to your account.
- In the upper right corner, click on the user icon and open the “Settings” section.
- At the very end of the page, you will find the function – “Delete Account.” The button is located in the lower right corner.
- The program will open a page and ask you to enter a password and indicate why you decided to refuse their services. Then click “Delete forever.”
- Now you will not log in, and if you had a desktop application, you could uninstall it.