What Can Someone Do with Your IP: Know How to Prevent ThatPosted on 9th June 2021
Privacy matters a lot in our world. If all those computer tools seem too complicated for you, we have shortlisted basic info about what an IP address is, why it is important to keep it secret, and how to secure it. So, let’s start from the basics.
What Is an IP Address about?
The abbreviation IP stands for Internet Protocol. This address is identified for any device that is used for accessing the web. It enables the website to know exactly where to send information that is related to you when you ask for any connection requests. Your IP address identifies not only your device but also your geolocation.
How Other People Can Detect Your IP Address
We should tell you from the start that there are so many ways for doing that. We will shortlist the basic examples:
- If you are using torrent files, it becomes easy to see your IP address. It is included in the list of peers.
- By sending an email to anyone. The header of your email message may contain that IP address. This option is not applicable to all services. Gmail doesn’t do that, while Microsoft Outlook and Yahoo! do. Keep that in mind while selecting your email provider.
- Checking logs of the webserver of websites you visited. Please keep in mind that any website you use while making Internet surfing sees your IP address. In this case, only owners and admins are able to do that unless the website experiences any data leaks.
- If somebody is in your home and gets access to your PC without your permission, it is easy to get your IP address only by making Google searches “What is my IP address” and such will be revealed easily.
- Any admins of gaming, blog, forum, and similar servers can see your IP address. This is made to block the user in case of certain troubles for its side.
- If you choose to interact with any online advertising you see, that gets your IP address automatically.
- Using specific tools, like Grabify, may also enable someone to get your IP address.
What Can Somebody Do with Your IP Address?
There can be a variety of things such persons may do with your IP address. We will shortlist the basic ones:
- Restrict access to certain devices you have
Content providers you have may use that IP address to get geo-blocks – these are content restrictions that by default prevent users from the so-called blacklisted countries from accessing certain websites where such restrictions exist. All attempts of access are filtered by using IP addresses. In this case, it is useful to change yours if you already know that your location is blacklisted for any reason. In general, we suggest you use VPN services to protect yourself from non-intentional sharing of your IP address with somebody else. And also for ensuring freer web surfing.
- Get spam advertisements and similar promo materials
If you appear on the Internet by using your original IP address, you risk getting dozens of unexpected advertisements. Have you noticed that after googling about any matter, you get a number of ads about it a bit later? That distracts a lot.
The situation appears because advertisers and their partners track you on the Internet and suggest ads that may be interesting. Sometimes they really may be very relevant. But, if that becomes so, you start finding those on your own, don’t you?
- Sending info to the dark web
It is possible, and we know a lot of cases when hackers did so. That is a problem we think of and want to warn you about using your original IP. This way, it is easy to share this valuable info and risk getting to the database that may be used for a fraudulent purpose. So, impersonating yourself on the Internet may become one of the best things that may prevent you from unexpected consequences.
- Select Limited Sensitive Info About You
You want to secure yourself from that, don’t you? They are usually looking for some “easy” cases where there are no active means of protection. Lack of such may easily lead to the data leak of information that is too personal or sensitive. So, we encourage you to minimize that risk by applying specific tools and software.
Means and Steps for Protecting Your Devices and Information
We hope you have already realized the necessity to prevent any possible risks that may appear on the Internet. And we have shortlisted basic suggestions that can help you with ensuring basic protection for your IP address. These approaches are easy to apply even by non-professionals.
- Start Using VPN Service
We have already mentioned this helpful tool before and encourage you to use these basic means for protecting your device. This is a tool that hides an IP address you have by changing it. You appear on the Internet with another one that the VPN server assigns to you. To use this service, it is necessary to connect to such a VPN server only – and you get an opportunity to decrease any cyber risks easily.
- Use Proxy Server
This is another helpful tool that may protect you. You also get another IP address. But, these services don’t suggest the same level of security as VPS services. They are not applying any encryption or similar means. And they can also make your work much slower.
- Change Networks
If you have such an opportunity, switch between those networks you have. When you connect to a new network, you get another IP address. This may be a quick but not too effective tool for protecting your devices as Wi-Fi networks are not related to encryption in most cases.
- Negotiate the Matter with Your IPS
Sounds good, isn’t it? IPS is the exact person who assigns an IP address to you. So, if you have any worries in this regard, you may simply inform IPS about those and ask to change your IP. Perhaps, your specialist will even suggest a dynamic IP address that can ensure a higher level of security.
We hope those threats will not touch you in any way. Be more secured by applying one of those options we have suggested to you.