Man in the middle: a new form of attack among online usersPosted on 28th July 2021
Are you being tracked online? The use of the Internet gets even more serious when you know about the risks from the network. Every move you manage online can be tracked and carefully analyzed. Do you use clear passwords, or are they safe for your data management? This is the question to be posed. If you don’t pay much attention to the details, you can get caught by the MITM attack. What’s it? Let’s answer this question together to protect users on the web.
MITM attack: risky browsing activity online
When you get caught by the man-in-the-middle attack, you get spied on all the time. The hackers monitor every move to strike at the right time. How do they act in real online settings? You may think that you interact directly with the website or platform. But this isn’t true. There may be hackers that work as mediators. They engage with your private data, manipulate your transactions online and monitor your operations. There are 3 basic components of the MITM attack:
- You, as a victim, are the first component.
- Then we deal with the performer. He’s called a man in the middle.
- The last detail is the application or final recipient.
Now let’s see how it works. It may sound weird to you, but such things happen online quite often. And you should be ready to meet them. So, at first, there’s an interaction between the victim and the recipient. You may share the content with another party, be it a user, platform, or app. When this interaction is being performed, there’s an MTIM participant. This man-in-the-middle is supposed to track the data while it reaches the intended location.
What’s the goal of this man? His responsibility is to manipulate the process of data transfer between the victim and the recipient to benefit from the information sent. How do you usually get caught? When you get access to free wifi spots, you open the door to your system. You may think that you log in to the official account. But that’s not true. Hackers often trick the users to get their data. It is a simple process when the user logs in to the system to transfer data online.
MITM attack types
There are different forms of such attacks. You may think that checking the hotspot will save you from hackers. But let’s look at some other forms of MITM attacks common in today’s world.
- We have already discussed the wifi opportunities. The scenario is simple. When you give access to your device, the hackers start doing malicious things with your data.
- Man-in-the-browser attacks are also common for internet users. In this case, the user can be easily redirected to the wrong address. This is a dangerous type of attack because the hacker can get unnoticed until the right moment.
- Another type of MITM attack is called email hijacking. Your mailbox is a real goal for many hackers. There’s so much useful info in our emails, such as passwords, user data, and codes. It may take different forms, and you usually miss the tricks automatically. Being careful when opening emails is the only way to protect your data.
- Cookies are also a great source of info for hackers. These browsing cookies can store real info about you. What can be better than personal info for hackers?
These are some common examples of MITM attacks. You may even be a part of this attack in the past and had your data monitored. It is important to know and differentiate the attacks to be ready to protect your online profile.
Time to prevent the attacks: how to get rid of the hackers online
We all want to stay safe online. But there are so many hacking attacks waiting for us in every app and platform. How should we keep calm and enjoy our time online? There are some simple yet working tips to prevent the attacks and their effect on the user.
- Keep an eye on the emails. We have already mentioned the fact that your emails are a real target. This is a great place for hackers to steal your info. Whenever you get a weird message, send it to spam. You should carefully look at the sender and check the email. If you see any inconsistency, you should delete the message. Otherwise, you will regret that click. Phishing emails will never play into your hands when opened.
- Work on the router. You must secure everything correctly. You may think that using free hotspots is a real danger. But you put your data at risk even with a personal router. Hackers will easily break the codes and invade your space. For this reason, you must work on specific and even sophisticated passwords to make it safer.
- Secure your online connection. You can easily do it with a VPN connection. It will help you encrypt the data and protect the use of the data online.
By following these simple tips, you will have your info protected from hackers. You never know what’s waiting for you in the next email. So, it is better to prevent the danger.
Online use has risks, and you don’t know what’s waiting for you today. But with a proven list of secret tips, you can protect yourself from potential danger. Make use of the tips described in the guide, use a VPN, and enjoy your time online.