Gmail security: quality, safety improving suggestionsPosted on 13th April 2021
Gmail is a widely used mail service. But users often bother if it is safe for work. That is a reasonable concern cause nobody would appreciate someone spying on their personal information. What may happen to our mails without our knowledge? What does Gmail offer to protect the privacy of its users? Know the answers from this article.
The potential risks for e-letters and solutions from Google
The first and the most unpleasant concern is that hackers can get access to your e-box. The first and the most unpleasant concern is that hackers can get access to your e-box. However, scammers are not the first on the suspicious list. The Internet provider can read your letters as well. Google never mentions that its workers are allowed to read e-letters. All that users know is that their private correspondence comes through many computer scanning. That is a normal process in the work of each mail client. And that is how the letters come to spam or junk box.
Unfortunately, reading correspondence by strangers goes beyond what is personal. If those who get access to your computer can link all the information that you leave on the Internet (such as Google Maps, calendar, etc.), you can forget about privacy at all.
Here is the complete list of the dangers:
- Phishing. The week-known activity of scammers pretending to be respectful companies who intend to get personal and financial information illegally. Hackers use this method to control electronic devices. They get access through an electronic address with a link or attachment files. Once a user opens it, access to the computer is available. According to the tests, Gmail provides better protection, comparing to Microsoft 365 and Yahoo Mail, supported by bots that detect harmful letters.
- Sniffing. Scammers may interfere with your traffic. Your electronic device is at risk when you use WiFi in public places such as airports or restaurants. Gmail has implemented HTTPS protocol which prevents hackers from getting into your traffic.
- Password cracking. Today there are many illegal programs that fishing on a password. Google has three steps of protection against these measurements:
- two-factor authentication (highly recommended) that allows you to enter your e-box after a text message or voice call that alerts when you enter the account from a suspicious or new device;
- blocking after a few attempts of e-box password guessing;
- determining the location detects the geographical place of the account entering.
By and large, all risks are under control which promises Gmail users safe letter sharing.
Gmail security benefits and warnings
Although mail security is a complex mechanism, Gmail has eased it for its users as much as possible. Gmail security checklist and account permissions provide information about all protective features. Gmail application runs smoothly on all operating systems. It allows using mail servers in mobile and synchronize the data. SSL encryption provides security using the Internet in public places.
Gmail users assistance in data protection consists of the following:
- creating a strong password;
- enabling mobile encryption manually (if no mark by default);
- controlling the phone in case of loss via applications.
Gmail provides data protection from the government except for the cases when the request for opening electronic correspondence comes from the court. This action is reasonable and legal. Do not trust the suppliers, which claim about resistance to the law procedures.
With all benefits that Gmail provide, the users should remain vigilant and be able to recognize phishing attempts:
- never click distrustful links;
- never open weird files in the attachment to avoid malware;
- update your browser in time to have fresh resistance against hackers in your device;
- investigate Gmail activity regularly;
- use VPN in public places;
- checkup google security list for the new safety updates.
Do not rest hopes that hackers will ignore you. Implement the preventive measurements and protect your security. To save your access to photo galleries, files, music collection, digital banking system, blog, and social network in case of attacking or blocking your electronic address, use several mail clients for various services. That will highly increase the chances to save information if the cracking case happens.
If you feel like Google does not provide enough security for your emails, check our Microsoft, Firefox, Opera software email clients as an alternative. Bear in mind that Google and Microsoft, for example, are both American companies. If you are a citizen of a non-US country, your data might sustain snooping attacks anyway. Finding an entirely secure mail client that provides a 100 percent guarantee of safeness is hard and barely possible.