Google Drive Alternatives: Best PicksPosted on 14th July 2021
Undoubtedly, a lot of users believe that Google Drive is a good match when it comes to online storage. It is a huge platform where you can store your documents, photos, presentations, where you can edit them and share them with your friends or colleagues. It is really convenient, user-friendly, and it is free. At the same time, Google Drive has nothing to do with real privacy. This tool is able to scan your data, analyze it, and do whatever it wants with your personal information. When it comes to some personal journals, budgets, and business contracts, it is definitely not the best idea to store them in GD until you want to keep them private.
The good news is that you can choose an app that will be more delicate with your personal information. Below you’ll find a list of some decent alternatives you should try. But let’s start with the convincing reasons why you should stop using Google Drive right now.
Why is Google Drive Not As Good As We Used to Think Before?
If you really care about your online privacy, you should consider the following reasons to forget about Google Drive and look for some alternative options:
It scans your personal information and analyzes it
Do you think that all of your documents are safe when you upload them on your Google Drive? Well, how do you think Google shows you the customized search results or personalized ads? Privacy is a myth here. It is a well-known fact that Google has profiles for all users and these profiles include all the available information about you. So, even if files that you store on your drive are very personal, they also can define what’s served to you online.
Google claims that it uses your data to boost its services and skyrocket your customer experience. It also says that it encrypts your files. However, it appears that your information is still not absolutely private, and there are some cases when Google can access all your documents, e.g., when law enforcement agencies require it to provide any information.
It manipulates your documents
If you explore Google’s privacy agreement, you can easily find that this company has a worldwide license to manipulate your files uploaded on Drive. It means they can use them, host, modify, publish, distribute, and so on. They also state that users agree to share their data with third parties that “Google collaborates with.” These statements are pretty vague, and there are several ways to interpret them, which are surely not that good for your privacy. While you’re thinking that your files are your property, Google thinks they are Google’s.
You’re limited to control files that you share with other users
Speaking about this tool’s advantages, many people mention the opportunity to give permissions to view, edit, or comment on their documents. On the one hand, this process doesn’t take much time. But this solution can really harm your privacy because anyone who has these permissions can just share your documents with anyone else. There are no basic security measures. Moreover, if someone has accessed your document, you won’t even get a notification to figure this information out. Moreover, if you make your files public, they become available in Google search so that absolutely all people on the Internet can just find them when they are looking for something else. Random people can download your files and use them. Sounds not that secure, doesn’t it?
It is more vulnerable than other store alternatives
Finally, it is necessary to remember that your Google Drive is an integral part of your Gmail account. It means that you can’t feel protected unless your computer is closed in the safe. If you work from libraries, cafes, use public Wi-Fi, and so on, your personal data is easily accessible and vulnerable.
So, if you care about your files and don’t want them to become baits for hackers, it’s time to find some other option. We are going to help you to choose a cloud storage provider with a solid rock focus on privacy.
The LIT Google Drive Alternatives You Should Definitely Try
It is impossible to find an Internet user who has never heard about Dropbox. It is usually the first alternative people come to try when choosing a powerful cloud provider. This company can be the best option if you want to upload your files with ease and sync your devices together.
There are some Dropbox features you should know about:
- All plans are pretty flexible, and they depend on how much data you want to store. There is a free plan with limited opportunities, personal and business plans with advanced options.
- There are several options to upload and access data, and you can install the application, download the desktop client, or go for the in-browser option.
- When it comes to the most common document and media formats, you can view and edit them without any limitations.
- Dropbox works fast and well.
- You’ll not run into any issues with organizing and searching through your files as well as with moving around on the cloud.
If you’re in doubt, just start with a free plan to ensure that it can be a great alternative to Google Drive. This tool has better functionality, and it is really safer.
This solution has been around for several years, and it’s proved to be one of the strongest alternatives to such huge platforms as GD or Dropbox. It is fast and secure, so you can use it both for personal or business purposes.
Speaking about Sync.com advantages, it is necessary to mention:
- Amount of storage space. You can start from 5GB for free and develop your plan up to 10 TB per user.
- You have several options to upload and access the data: through the downloadable data client or in-browser. If speed is your priority, choose the first option.
- Synchronize data automatically with the specific option so that you never forget to back up your devices.
- You’re the only person who can access your files in the cloud due to the end-to-end encrypted storage apps and platform.
- There are no reasons to worry about upload speed. It is fast and consistent at the same time.
- Access your data from any location, and you’ll never run into some delays.
- Sync.com is an absolutely customer-friendly platform, and you can contact their support service whenever you need it.
And what about the cons? All coins have two sides. Some people who are used to Google Drive are claiming that they needed to take a first-time tutorial just to understand how to navigate this tool. And there is no downloadable client for Linux.
It is one of the younger providers that have become popular within the current decade. Undoubtedly, this service is constantly developing, and the sheer growth of its users is a convincing indicator of its potential.
Let’s take a look at some key features and advantages:
- Your location doesn’t matter when you want to open, view, edit, or stream your files. Have your favorite content right at your fingertips with built-in document viewers and media players.
- Users can upload files straight to the cloud and between devices.
- If you won’t want all of your files on the cloud automatically, you’ll surely appreciate the selective sync.
- pCloud Crypto takes your security to the next level — it provides users with an opportunity to encrypt their files on mobile or computers before uploading them for storage. To unlock this encryption, you’ll need CryptoPass — the generated key.
- You shouldn’t pay to store your files until you need more than 10Gb.
- There is a Lifetime plan with a one-time payment and access to a cloud for literally eternity.
- With pCloud, you can control your online stuff with ease since it provides you with user-friendly uploading and automatic syncing.
Speaking about cons, it is necessary to mention that the maximum storage option is 2TB, and some businesses need more. Besides, there are users who find the pCloud pricing policy to be expensive while others believe its services surely pay off.
In need of a safe and private cloud drive service? You should absolutely go for Tresorit.
There are two main aspects to consider:
- military-grade encryption;
- public-key cryptography.
What does it mean for you? All of your files are encrypted; no one can read this data, not even the company’s employees. The interesting fact is that Tresorit has offered 50 thousand dollars to anyone able to break this encryption. A lot of hackers have tried, including experienced people from the best institutions. All of them failed, and it is a good reason to choose this solution.
There are some additional features you’ll love:
- When you share your files with other people, it is not that easy for them to transfer ownership. There is a secret key that is generated for your friend or business partner exclusively, and there is also an opportunity to check who and when downloaded your files.
- The company’s data centers have the European basement, and Tresorit falls under Swiss jurisdiction. It sounds reliable enough since the company has to comply with GDPR regulations and rules.
What about good Google Drive alternatives for small teams and businesses? If you’re looking for one, try Box. It is a secure storage platform with a variety of collaboration opportunities.
With Box, you can:
- create different files and share them with your colleagues instantly;
- provide your teammates with editing and commenting permissions in real-time;
- get access to a detailed version tracking to control all changes and syncs;
- share files externally and set passwords on shared files to forget about security concerns;
- revoke access or change permission settings if something goes wrong.
What takes Box to the next level in comparison with other cloud storage providers is the use of ML—machine learning. It simplifies workflows: whether you need to assign some tasks, set deadlines, or track the progress, you can do it directly in Box. Generate new contacts with ease and make all the processes as transparent as possible.
Looking for a free and secure storage service provider? Mega can be your perfect match. First of all, it is the only platform that provides you with 50GB completely free. A pretty generous offer, isn’t it? Besides, it is able to encrypt your data in transit, it lets you share your documents, and it offers collaboration options. However, you should be ready for some limitations as well:
- You can share your files with a link, but there is no password protection;
- Edits in real-time are available, but they are not as advanced as you may expect;
- Bandwidth limitation of 10GB refreshes twice per hour, and it is not the best option when you’re going to transfer solid amounts of data.
At the same time, we can’t say that Mega is not reliable or not secure. Although it is located in New Zealand, Mega complies with GDPR regulations. Besides, the storage service has an open-source code, so if there were some vulnerabilities, they would have already been discovered.
This tool is pretty fresh in comparison with Google Drive or Dropbox. At the same time, Backblaze has managed to become one of the most promising alternatives to these solutions. Just compare their plans, and you’ll easily find out which option works best for you.
Backblazes’ key features:
- you can upload any files from a downloadable app, browser, or mobile.
- there are several plans according to your needs, as well as unlimited storage for users who are not sure how much data they need to beam up.
- if you accidentally delete files and want them back to the cloud, you’ll surely appreciate the file restore option.
- the interface is very easy to navigate.
- the company guarantees your privacy, and it claims that any of your data won’t be checked out, stolen, or sold by anyone who you do not authorize.
Obviously, there are some aspects that you might not like. For example, file restore takes a while, and you might experience quality loss when data compression with the automatic file.zip function. However, it is still better than Google Drive, especially if you’re looking for more capacity.
If you use a computer or a laptop running Windows, you’ll surely face the option to install OneDrive. It is Microsoft’s solution that can be the best choice for both individuals and businesses. How can you benefit from OneDrive?
- upload files from the app, client, or browser fast and seamlessly.
- don’t worry about security due to automatic spyware check and virus protection for all files that you upload and share.
- choose from free and paid plans that start at 10GB.
- sync all of your files (or chosen ones) automatically.
In comparison with Google Drive, OneDrive from Microsoft is easy to use, fast and safe. It will take you some time to get to know this solution, but you can be absolutely sure that your effort will pay off.
Other Tools That You Should Try For Different Purposes
If your online security is the primary concern, and you’re not looking for a solution with a nice interface or team collaboration options, you should try SpiderOak. Its best opportunities are zero-knowledge policy and powerful end-to-end encryption. There are also other storage providers like IceDrive, AmazonDrive, Canto DAM, and so on. So, you shouldn’t think that Google Drive is the only option.
Whatever your online goals are, always remember about your privacy. For example, you can install reliable VPN software like VeePN that will hide your IP address from third parties. It will make it harder to download your files when your location is impossible to track. Approach cybersecurity wisely, and enjoy endless opportunities the top-notch cloud storage services provide you with!